eBay: Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG3

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
Mig3_01.jpg
Mig3_02.jpg
Mig3_03.jpg

Last edited:
Vasilevsky island, Leningrad June 1942

Mig3_07.jpg

Last edited:
I think it is a plane called MiG-3P. It was a modified variant of the MiG-3 introduced on the 20th February 1941. The underwing pods were for BK 12.7mm guns. The round magazines for these guns were mounted at the wing interior what forced design engineers to change the wing structure at the area. Also it required making rectangular openings at bottom of the outer wing panels. The ammo stock for each magazine was of 145 rounds. Although these gun pods were quite small the wight of the MiG-3 increased considerably and the maximal speed decreased at about 20km/h. At the same time, the assembling of the BK guns was insufficient and the gun supplies for the No.1 factory were delivered to another recipients very often. Totally, 821 MiG-3s armed with the gun pods were assembled. However the underwing armament was dismounted quite quickly by maintence crews or at field workshops. And this is the reason for not seeing them very often.

Great photos. Any thoughts on colors and markings on the aircraft in Post#10? Crosses on fuselage only, swastikas on the tail, Russian green(s), Luftwaffe yellow on the nose, outer wing panels and underneath?

Geo

Outstanding Wojtek. Off to find me a 1/48 Mig.

Geo

EDIT: The site says Mig 1 but would it be a Mig 3? Notice the difference of the rear glass and the lack of forward antenna mast...

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
..... but would it be a Mig 3? Notice the difference of the rear glass and the lack of forward antenna mast...

According to my references the late MiG-1 series had the same rear glass like the early and late MiG-3. The lack of the antenna mast can't be the rule for identification because both MiG-1s and MiG-3s could be without this one. However in the case it seems that the antenna mast was dismounted. If you look closer to the pic you will notice the rectangular opened hatch at the top of the fuselage in front of the windscreen and a smaller round hole in front of the rectangular panel . I think it is a slot for the antenna mast . Looking at the plane it is difficult to say if nose is longer or shorther. However there can be noticed a small dark spot at the top of the fuselage near the "borderline" between the dark fuselage and the light engine cowling. It could be a small bulge or air intake that can be seen there in pictures of early MiG-3s. Also the the front of the air intake below the exhaust pipes looks like for the MiG-3. Unfortunately the entire image isn't of a good quality and the appearance of the top of the engine cowling doesn't help with the ID. However it might be an early MiG-3.

My pleasure Pal. What differences have you found?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back