Militaria Collecting (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nothing valuable but they're interesting..

Attachments

• more.jpg
    more.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 216
  • more2.jpg
    more2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 202
civil war shot from Gettysburg

Attachments

• bull1.jpg
    bull1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 213
  • bull2.jpg
    bull2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 209
Actually the infantry badge has some value to it. They typically go for several hundred dollars today.

I will start posting again in this thread this weekend. Sorry I have not been doing so. I have eneogh stuff to post something different every day and probably keep this going for a full year.

I was just hoping other people would join in first.

here is the flugzeugfuhrerabscheisen from arthur VonCasimir. kommander of KG 100..one of my niceset and most personal items as i have it to me in person

Attachments

• cassimirs flugzuegfuhrerabzeichen.jpg
    cassimirs flugzuegfuhrerabzeichen.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 210
and a few more items..the emblem is from a german fighter from FFS A/B 24 and was shoot down during the battle of the bulge !! and a few more items that i have

Attachments

• Mg 15 004.jpg
    Mg 15 004.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 214
  • display 002.jpg
    display 002.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 212
  • div 007.jpg
    div 007.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 218
  • FFS A-B Luftwaffe emblem (1).jpg
    FFS A-B Luftwaffe emblem (1).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 244
I have a little bit of a mystery here...at least for me, it is!

Over the years, I've been given my family's military articles, medals being among them. Unfortunately, about 10 years ago, a large share of my property was lost and only a small amount of family items remain with me. Such is life.

One of the "survivors" that I have, is a small pin that belonged to my Great Aunt Hanke. A real, genuine "Old World" Prussian noble-woman who saw everything in strict "right and proper" ways. She never spoke much of WWI or WWII, both of which she endured. In the 70's she passed away and I inherited a good number of German military items, this pin being among them.

Like I said, she wasn't forthcoming with much information as to who in the family was involved, and I was young at the time of her passing.

My question would be, what is this pin? It is less than an inch in height, black enamelled Reichsadler over a red cross. This leads me to beleive it was indicating involvement with the International Red Cross, but I haven't found a pin that resembles it.

I'll post pix of the front and back:

Attachments

• IMGP5290a.jpg
    IMGP5290a.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 518
  • IMGP5297a.jpg
    IMGP5297a.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 512
That my friend is a German Red Cross Lapel pin. I own one myself that belonged to my Grandmother. She was in the Red Cross during the Third Reich time.

The value of that pin is about $65 to $80.

Thanks for letting me know!

I've seen similiar ones, but nothing like this. I could only speculate from it's obvious markings!

This is one of two pins I have left, the other is a Landser pin (wreath with a K98 Reichsadler).

Among the items that were lost was a Luftwaffe tunic, greatcoat and service cap. Also had some Wehrmacht items, wound badges, Iron Crosses (some dating back to WWI) and a glider pin.

I still have a Luftwaffe stahlhelm (no rolled rim) and the service cap eagle (upper) and oakwreath with the cockade (lower). The helmet doesn't have any decals on it, and it used to be in a canvas bag with a carrying strap, which is no longer with it. The canvas was a gray-green and had a series of numbers on it, with a Luftwaffe eagle on it (above the numbers), though the helmet is finished in green. Also have the family's 7x57mm Mauser with bayonette, scabbard and frog.

And a handful of coins and currency.

Perhaps I should dig those out and share thier photos!

I will try and take some more pics of my collection. Most of my collection though is in Stuttgart at my families house. When I joined the Army 9 years ago I obviously could not take it with me to Basic Training and all, so I stored it all there.

The 3 tunics and Iron Cross 2nd Class that I posted before, is the main stuff that I have here at my house, except for some equipment and a few medals.

When I go to Stuttgart in the next few weeks, I will grab a few more tunics and medals and bring them up so I can take pictures and post them.

I took some time today to take some photos of the items I had mentioned earlier, so I'll put them up...

I'll break the groups into the military, and the coins.

This post has the service cap insignias (upper and lower) and the Infantry badge. Originally, the trunk that had the Luftwaffe uniforms had a small cedar box that contained pins, badges and a few ribbons. The Infantry badge came from an old hat box that had photos and a few other related items.

Included is two photos of the helmet I have that used to be in a canvas bag with a canvas carrying strap. Like I said, the canvas bag had a Luftwaffe eagle over some numbers and was a light gray in color. The helmet still has it's original liner and chin strap, but it never had any decals or markings on it.

I just wish that my Great Aunt Hanke hadn't been so tight-lipped about who these belonged to...

Attachments

• IMGP5540a.jpg
    IMGP5540a.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 500
  • IMGP5541a.jpg
    IMGP5541a.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 496
  • IMGP5547a.jpg
    IMGP5547a.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 492
  • IMGP5546a.jpg
    IMGP5546a.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 497
And now the family coins...

The first group goes back to the 1800's. The 20 and 50 notes are from WWI, the 50 is dated 1917, the 20 is 1914. The coins on the upper right are Imperial German coins, dates range from 1874 to 1917. The coin by itself in the lower right corner is an Imperial Prussian 2 cent coin.

The second photo has the WWII era coins, the one on the upper left is interesting because it has a Cathedral on the reverse, and it was in a transition period where the swastikas are present, but not prominent.

Attachments

• IMGP5543a.jpg
    IMGP5543a.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 505
  • IMGP5545a.jpg
    IMGP5545a.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 510
Included is two photos of the helmet I have that used to be in a canvas bag with a canvas carrying strap. Like I said, the canvas bag had a Luftwaffe eagle over some numbers and was a light gray in color. The helmet still has it's original liner and chin strap, but it never had any decals or markings on it.

I hate to break the news, but I do not believe that your helmet is an original (at least not all of the components). The helmet liner and chin strap are certainly not original.

The Germans never used a helmet liner or chin strap like that. The chin strap was not designed to go under the chin either (as with this chinstrap) it was designed to go under the jaw (as in the 2nd pic below). It was all leather and would be like the one in the picture below (first pic below).

What you have below is typical of a "reproduction" that have been coming out Spain. The Spanish used the same kind of helmet for a little while after the war.

This also could be a helmet that was used by the German border patrol after the war in the 1950s and used a chin strap and liner similar to the old US style which is present in this helmet.

A lot of these two examples (Spanish and Border Patrol) are on the market and being sold as originals even though they are not.

I own one just like yours (even loooks the same and painted the same). I knew it was not original, but I picked it up for $25 dollars at a militaria show. I own 2 original helmets as well, one with the leather chin strap and liner.

Here is a good website where you can get some info from (it is also the website from which I posted the below pictures).

The Online Guide to World War II German Helmets

Attachments

• 589tropcamo0006.jpg
    589tropcamo0006.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 1,157
  • Heer_main_page_image1.jpg
    Heer_main_page_image1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 562

Users who are viewing this thread

Back