Militaria Collecting

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Dave. I wish I was still fit enough, and able-bodied enough, to use them!
They are 'signed off' RAF Stores as serviceable, when retired in favour of the LLPC, and even though that was in the late 1990's (for the main 'chute), they probably still are serviceable - although I wouldn't like to try it without a thorough check and re-pack !!!
Also, it's many years since I did a static line jump, having moved on to free-fall, with modern, ram-air canopies - maybe not better landings, but bl**dy softer landings!!

Never could figure you guys out...jumping from perfectly good aircraft like that

I should go out an camera my WWI gas mask with charcoal filter. I purchased it when I was about 8 and played with it often as a young boy. Last time I worked with it, it surely filtered!

Just snapped a couple pix of Dad's mystery helmet...

It's marked GSW Mk1 W 1941. It would appear to be British, though America was using the MK1 before the M-1 helmet went into service 1941/1942.

I also finally have my Dad's M1 .30 carbine now, I'll have to post a pic of it in the other thread.

100_1050[720x540].jpg

100_1051[720x540].jpg

I have a collection of military medals, WWII, I was going to make box with Jimmy Doolittles awards, but alas, some cannot be had.
But I would like to trade them............ All are originals, no copies if I remember right.

I'll post pictures if they are wanted by anyone in here.

I bet!
You can do a 'Draw and Fit' when you next come over mate!
And I'd forgotten how bl**dy heavy the complete rig is ! I must have been darned fit in those days!!

yep must have been when you consider everything else carried as well !

no wonder my knees and ankles hurt and i only did a fraction of the jumps you did

If it didn't work, then when I landed, I'd complain, and ask for a replacement ........
It would almost certainly deploy, perhaps a little slower than normal, having been packed for so long. But there's now way I'd try it out - not before a complete 'Thumb Test' and re-pack!
Just worked out how much weight was strapped to me every time I did a static line jump. With the main chute, reserve and harness, the old steel Para helmet, and the CSPEP (weapons and equipment container), which had my 'Bergen', an A41 radio plus accessories, webbing, six 2 inch mortar bombs, SLR (Rifle, L1A1, 7.62mm) with 4 full mags and 50 rounds loose, I was carrying an extra 160 pounds in weight !!!
No wonder my bl**dy knees and ankles are now ****ed !!

If it didn't work, then when I landed, I'd complain, and ask for a replacement ........
It would almost certainly deploy, perhaps a little slower than normal, having been packed for so long. But there's now way I'd try it out - not before a complete 'Thumb Test' and re-pack!
Just worked out how much weight was strapped to me every time I did a static line jump. With the main chute, reserve and harness, the old steel Para helmet, and the CSPEP (weapons and equipment container), which had my 'Bergen', an A41 radio plus accessories, webbing, six 2 inch mortar bombs, SLR (Rifle, L1A1, 7.62mm) with 4 full mags and 50 rounds loose, I was carrying an extra 160 pounds in weight !!!
No wonder my bl**dy knees and ankles are now ****ed !!

wow, never carried that much but reckon i got over 100 pounds once or twice !

Posted this in another Militaria Thread. I've had it for about 40yrs. Looks pretty rough so it might be a replica. Did some Googlin' and it looks like a paratrooper badge. Found a name, Dipl.-Ing. Wolfgang Erdmann, in command of the Fallschirmjäger-Division Erdmann so I'm thinking the name on the back of the badge was the division name.

001.JPG
002.JPG

My WW1 uniform has arrived.

29th Infantry.

Fought in the Meuse–Argonne offensive in 191The unit took 30% casualties. 170 officers and 5,691 enlisted men were killed or wounded in 21 days of combat.

The uniform is in excellent condition. The soldiers name is written in the pants and jacket. I am going to try and track down his history.
BAD5ACE0-4FDC-4816-9BD8-1DC379DFB526.jpeg

BDA11BAB-661C-4C8C-AC61-369F4028E291.jpeg
F46BFA20-F6AB-4D2F-BB49-54A523644958.jpeg
9B1376CB-66C6-4275-B91E-F81CD38ED60F.jpeg
F0FA75F6-E83B-479A-A21B-2AF14BBA8D08.jpeg
FB3E7BD8-2913-4FAE-A095-ADA4A6EDF2F6.jpeg

In the 1990s and early 2000s, the second hand stores and thrift stores would often have WW2 and Korean war uniforms. My guess was the old vet passed away and the uniforms meant nothing to the widow or the children. Today, I find a slightly increased interest in the children and grandchildren of vets about their father or grandfather.

In the 1990s and early 2000s, the second hand stores and thrift stores would often have WW2 and Korean war uniforms. My guess was the old vet passed away and the uniforms meant nothing to the widow or the children. Today, I find a slightly increased interest in the children and grandchildren of vets about their father or grandfather.
It is like when you are not sick and when you are!

You don't know price of what you have, you gave no place to hold them, you have no interest on them, you don't know how to use / preserve them!

While repacking some boxes in preparation of moving into our new house in 2 weeks I came upon an old Soviet Naval Ensign. I got this in Germany back in 1990.

Dimlee Dimlee could you possibly translate the stamped words on the side?

4AC26B7B-BD13-4B27-8520-77BF18693B7C.jpeg
DE3C0792-886D-40DF-B50D-8E9F743FF87A.jpeg
893D39B6-B5E6-465E-B32A-6772A49F535B.jpeg

Can't wait to get moved in to our new house so I can set up my "war room" aka mini-museum and display all my uniforms and collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back