Military uses for civilian planes.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pbehn

Colonel
Oct 30, 2013
I was watching a documentary or Concorde and had a thought well two actually.

1 Was any military use for a Concorde ever considered.

2 Apart from cargo and troop transport which other civilian aircraft were developed for military use?

I came up with the Sunderland, DC3 gunship and Cessna 01 and 02

The Concorde was not suited for any military roles at all.

1. Narrow bodied.
2. Could not carry a large enough payload.
3. To expensive, burned too much fuel.

DHC-6 Twin Otter - RCAF CC-138 Twin Otter plus other air forces

ISD01-6327-crop.jpg

Bombardier Challenger 600 - RCAF CC-144 Challenger plus other air forces

VL2007-0138-18-crop.jpg

Airbus A310-300s - RCAF CC-150 Polaris

TN2005-0595-07a-crop.jpg

I know they aren't fighters or bombers but hey....they're Canucky

Last edited:
I believe the He 111 & Ju 90 started life as civilian planes

The JU 90 did.
full.jpg

The He 111 didn't, it was a bomber from the get-go.
The commercial versions were an attempt to fool other countries into believing that some of the German aircraft were for peaceful purposes.
The He 111 Commercial version was announced to the world over 18 months after the DC-2 went into service and within a 1-2 months of the DC-3.

Photo of He 111 commercial with Ju 52s
he111_d-aqyf.jpg

Smaller volume for passengers/cargo is apparent.

Add to that list:

VC-10/15
L1011
A330
B737

Plus a few more that don't come immediately to mind.

A lot of civilian aircraft are picked up for use as liaison aircraft, light transports and utility aircraft.

Air Koryo - North Korea's airline has a number of military aircraft operating within its fleet. Although nominally governed over by the DPRK's civil aviation branch, the airline is state owned and its aircraft have in the past been painted in military liveries and used for military purposes. The UN even denounced these activities as a violation of sanctions against the reclusive nation.

Article listing the airline's activities here: Air Koryo plane that made emergency landing was one of its newer aircraft

The distinction between military and civil use of airliners was blurred under Aeroflot during the Soviet Union. I remmber seeing Antonov An-12s with tail guns in Aeroflot colours in books I used to have. CAAC, the Chinese communist airline was much the same and also operated military aircraft. So, would these be considered military aircraft in civilian guise or civlian aircraft, or both?

CAAC Antonov An-12:

37627351171_e0214766af_b.jpg

Air Koryo - North Korea's airline has a number of military aircraft operating within its fleet. Although nominally governed over by the DPRK's civil aviation branch, the airline is state owned and its aircraft have in the past been painted in military liveries and used for military purposes. The UN even denounced these activities as a violation of sanctions against the reclusive nation.

Article listing the airline's activities here: Air Koryo plane that made emergency landing was one of its newer aircraft

The distinction between military and civil use of airliners was blurred under Aeroflot during the Soviet Union. I remmber seeing Antonov An-12s with tail guns in Aeroflot colours in books I used to have. CAAC, the Chinese communist airline was much the same and also operated military aircraft. So, would these be considered military aircraft in civilian guise or civlian aircraft, or both?

CAAC Antonov An-12:

View attachment 468975

So, could we add the PAC-750XL as well now?

Flew in a BN into the last logging camp I work in. The company had two. I don't know why but there was a book/magazine(?) in camp that had the costs of light aircraft for the current year ('83) that said a BN was worth $450-500K. Our owner bought them for around $45K each from S. America. The brake shoes appeared to be dangling on the right side. The faller's aircraft, a Cessna 206 cab used to occasionally fill with a small amount of smoke. It was never fixed in the 3 years I worked there. The owners nick-name was Junk John.

I used to skydive from an Islander. One day, as it was landing, the starboard wheel assembly hit a sheep on the runway, which 'slewed' the wheel off to an angle. Robin, the pilot,completed a safe landing and taxied back, the aircraft was jacked up and the wheel re-aligned, and then took off for another 'lift' !
The sheep went on the 'barbie' that night ..............

It's fairly common for maritime patrol aircraft to be based on civil aircraft: L-188 Electra -> P-3 Orion, Bristol Brittania -> Canadair CP-107 Argus, 737 -> P-8, MPA versions of the ATR-72, CN-235, Do-328, AEW versions of Saab 340, Gulfstream GIV or GV, 737, 707, 767, DC-10 and L-1011 tankers, .....

Commercial transport airframes are robust, long-lived, commodious, and common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back