Minicraft 1/144 Boeing 377 Stratocruiser Northwest Airlines

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
well, this is by far the most challenging paint scheme I've ever done...and I've done Camouflage on military aircraft several times O_O. anyways, here's my first Stratocruiser model. I realize only now that I could have done the red first, then the white, then the natural metal. *headdesk* coulda saved me a lot of time and such.

EDIT: yes, I know now about that missing but on the nose. I guess that's what flew off while I was applying the Future....well, there's no way of fixing that now. no worries.

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

Last edited:
Looking good. But you have to pay more attention to seams Rob. Not only to these of a fuselage but also to those at wing leading edges.

yeah you're right, man. I dunno why I didn't do that part...never crossed my mind, I guess

yep, that's right on the money. lol I have been not wanting to put putty on the Tri-motor, cos there's SOOOOOOOO many grooves that I'd have to create to maych the rest of the plane, but I decided it could be worth it.

thanks guys! as you know, I got another Stratocruiser in the stash...a 1/72 one to be exact. this one will be Pan American World Airways! but I don't think I'll get to it till after I do the DC-3, 737, and possibly the Constellation.

and the most luxurious at the time! it had sleeping berths, the lower deck even featured a small bar! I woulda lived to have flown a strat back in those days

Turned out real nice Rob.
For future models I wouldn't use the painting sequence you mentioned in the first post. Its hard to cover red with white with out the red showing through. I'd go white, red, natural metal. It's best to start with the lightest and work to the darker colors, and then finish with the silver, it'll usual cover anything.
That 1/72nd 377 will be a monster. I have the Air Force version in my stash but am afraid to start it. Nowhere to put it when it's done. :dontknow:

yep, that's right on the money. lol I have been not wanting to put putty on the Tri-motor, cos there's SOOOOOOOO many grooves that I'd have to create to maych the rest of the plane, but I decided it could be worth it.
Try running masking tape along both sides of the seam before applying the putty, sand a bit then re-apply the tape if necessary to keep from destroying the detail you want to keep. Hope this helps, love the paint scheme and I can't wait to see the others you have listed.

lol a little late. I've already finished it and put it up.

buuut I'll keep the tape trick in mind once the time comes for the DC-3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back