Minicraft 1:144 Dougas DC-6B "Pan American World Airways"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
this was originally another VC-118 "The Independence" I was about to trade it in for something else, but I thought of buying some decals and making it a civil DC-6. so I got Pan American Airways. you can see this was being done as I was doing AF1. I was so bored so I started on another bird. I loved doing this plane. my best work, yet. and y'all know I hate tootin' my own horn. xD I can almost hear those P&W 2800 Double Wasps starting to turn over! and if you look at the windows, you can see the manufacturer of the decals put curtains in some of them. quite a nice feature.

Picture001-5.jpg

Picture002-6.jpg

Picture003-6.jpg

Nice one Rob!
I remember cycling 15 miles (each way) to see a DC6 arrive at my local airport when I was a youngster - great sight and sound.

thanks, Terry! don't you just love the sexy sound of those R-2800s? I love the startup sound. it's the type of sound that says "I'm old, but I've still got lots of power!" there are still a bunch of DC-6's still operating. most of them are cargo. in fact, I think the only ones that still operate under a company are Evert's Air Cargo in Alaska. I got a buddy who worked for Horizon Airlines at KSEA, and he'd travel all over the place for free, even Alaska. he has this professional grade camera and ot a couple shots of their DC-6s.

Beaut sound Rob. But they sounded old even when they were young, same as a DC3. That is of course, until they stopped coughing and got that throaty roar, then throttle back to an expectant growl !
Oh, the sound of that " Whine, pop! Whine, wheeze, BANG, grumble, GRUMBLE - ROAR"!

and one more! this sound file is from a flight simulator addon recorded from a real Convair 240. best damn soundset I've ever downloaded.

Attachments

• PW28_startup_left.wav
    2.1 MB · Views: 112

Users who are viewing this thread

Back