Mixing Paint

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
I need some assistance from you guys that mix your own paints. I'm going to be building a B-17 in Olive drab that has been well weathered. From what I can tell worn Olive has a yellow tinge to it. Any clues on how I could reproduce this affect?

Can't help you with the mixing but here are two color chips of Life Color paints that are labeled as being "Olive drab weathered". Those might help.

Olive drab weathered UA003 FS34088 and Tan Olive drab weathered UA0039 FS34201

Attachments

• ua003.jpg
    ua003.jpg
    428 bytes · Views: 80
  • ua039.jpg
    ua039.jpg
    408 bytes · Views: 89
If you mean a B17 in the ETO, specifically, based in England, then the colour could vary from factory-fresh, rather dark Olive Drab (Green) to almost purple! The most common 'shade' was a brownish-green, the brown being the 'hint' of yellow.
I can't advise on the colours for any of the acrylic ranges, but i normally mix faded shades of OD using Humbrol enamels, No.30 Dark Green, and No.29 Dark Earth. In many cases, it's roughly equal parts, but by adding less of the Dark Earth, you'll get a 'green with a hint of brown'. A touch of thinners, especially with most current enamels, will help with the mixing to prevent premature drying and, if airbrushing, I normally thin about 50/50 or 60/40 thinner/paint. A bit of experimentation should find what you're looking for. If you need it, I can probably find a reasonable colour pic or two showing typical examples.
Note that the B17 paintwork seemed to fade quicker, and more 'deeply, than the B24, and the B26 was notorious for losing paint!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back