Modelling Tools and Equipment.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have to admit though, one of the best tools I now have was sent to me by Matt - the double-edged razor saw. How I ever got by without it I'll never know! Thanks again Matt!

You are most welcome my overseas friend. May that piece of kit help provide me with wonderful pics of your modeling capability.

Any of these help my modeling? Found them in the garage. Except the glosscote I bought it. The can I didn't take a close up of is "Clear finish Matte"

Attachments

• 102_4099.JPG
    102_4099.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 102_4100.JPG
    102_4100.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 102_4101.JPG
    102_4101.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 135
I could really use one of those double edge razor saws. They don't have them at my LHS. I like my saw but its too big at times. If either you or Matt could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it

This guy has treated me VERY well. He even called me long distance for an order clarification.

And the same kit that Airframes has is now on sale. You can't beat this for razor saw basics, spares and spacers (great for making ribs).

UMM-USA

I would test them out on plastic first, B17. Let it dry overnight and then rub it with your fingers to see if it flakes off.

Oh... and even if you don't use them for your models, don't make your dad mad by not cleaning the nozzle out. When done, turn the can upside down and spray until no more paint comes out. Then wipe the nozzle. Otherwise you will clog the spray mechanism.

In that case don't piss yourself off and forget to clean the nozzle. Otherwise you will spray a 1/2oz and throw away 15 1/2oz when its clogged.

Not sure how much it is in the 'States, but in the UK, the standard grey/green pack is around £2.50 to £3. A pack should last a long time, depending how it's used of course. I use it for major filling jobs, for moulding and sculpting modifications on models, including the whole nose of a 1/32nd scale Spitfire MkIX, making items such as parachute packs, and all sorts of other jobs. As a filler, it's unbeatable in my opinion, and can be thinned down, with water, to a paste for getting into awkward places and small gaps - beats the heck out of normal tube-type putty, and less work without shrinkage.
The only downside is the preparation - kneading the two parts together. This can take a bit of time if the material is cold, although it gets easier as body heat from the hands softens the putty. But, as the stuff does it's job a lot easier, and with more versatility than most other fillers, time and effort is saved in the long run.

Well, here's a view of my layout and gear:

The workbench. (The lamp is on loan from the living room until I can get myself an Ot-light or steal my wife's :lol: ) Oh the box looks goofy but it's basically to prevent any overspray from hitting the freshly painted walls in our new house. You can also see a bunch of jar lids, empty jars etc, on the desk. I am always scrounging those things to hold parts and various tools. Like the two empty marmalade white ceramic marmalade jars that I use to hold my brushes and pipettes.

IMG_0092.jpg

The two airbrushes - both Iwata HP double action - one has been upgraded with a 0.35 mm needle and the other is the stock 0.5 mm needle. The airbrush holder is a great place to hang the compressor hose as well. :D The flat glass jar is an airbrush cleaning station. My wife bought it for me because she hates the smell of the Medea Airbrush cleaner (and so do I). It works great - but it's a pain to clean up. Oh and the mag lite flashlight is used for looking for PE parts that get swallowed up by the carpet monster.

IMG_0094.jpg

The compressor

IMG_0095.jpg

Clamps, tweezers, scissors, pin vise and drills, razor knife, sprue cutters, wire cutters and flat pliers for folding PE. The tape on the razor saw was a guide I put on when I was making some cuts on the He 162 so that I wouldn't make the cuts too deep.

IMG_0096.jpg

Exacto knife and blades, emery cloth, sanding sticks, Tamiya tape, toothpicks, wine corks and pins, files, seam scraper, putty knife and putty, and panel line scriber. The wine corks are awesome for holding parts while they are being airbrushed - especially tires - put a toothpick thru the axle hole, stick the other end in the cork and spray away! :D Plus you get to drink the wine as well!

IMG_0097.jpg

The toxic waste zone: Airbrush cleaner, thinners, and glues. That's just a fraction of the paints off in the back to the right. Micro sol, micro set, liquid mask and my brand new washes are not shown.

IMG_0099.jpg

Brushes and some miscellaneous drafting tools. That package of brushes on the left is brand new. They are ultra fine, down to a 20/0 spotter but those two fan brushes are awesome for dry-brushing. My old fan brush got destroyed. The new set is a gift from my wife. :D

IMG_0101.jpg

There's a few more odds and ends but it's just stuff like wire, evergreen, plasticard etc. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back