Montréal lose the Shriners' Hospital to London, Ontario.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I remember reaching into my pocket over there and pulling out several Scottish pounds, thinking "Wow, isn't that interesting?". There was definitely a strong sense of pride evident amongst the English and Scottish I'd met, for their cultural differences. Much like various parts of Canada in that way.

Oh, and the Québec, Scotland, Wales merger would never work. Could you just see a fellow in a kilt and beret, reeking of Drakkar Noir, speaking French with a Gaelic accent? :lol:...Or was that Gaelic with a French accent? :-k

BTW, I'll say this for Québecers. They're not cowardly in a fight, and I'm not just saying that for Maestro's benefit. No way. :cool:
Interesting how they and the French (from France) hate each other so much. :lol:

Nonskimmer said:
Oh, and the Québec, Scotland, Wales merger would never work. Could you just see a fellow in a kilt and beret, reeking of Drakkar Noir, speaking French with a Gaelic accent? :lol:...Or was that Gaelic with a French accent?

You could find that on Ste Catharines on Sat Night :lol:

Nonskimmer said:
Interesting how they and the French (from France) hate each other so much. :lol:

Och... You would still be surprised to see how Québekers can lick the ass of French sometimes... Especially the separatists. The mayor of Québec City is the perfect example. That asshole renamed a boulvard in the city and named it the "Boulevard Louis XIV", he asked a couple millions contribution to France's President for the 400th anniversary of Québec City in 2008, he make something like 2 trips by years in France, and he built and installed a statue of an other asshole (Charles De Gaulle) in front of the town hall !

No need to say that this statue got some troubles... (Paint was thrown at it, a little smart-ass even wrote the following sentence : "Le sang des Canadiens à Dieppe, tu peux sourire vieux pirate." (Translation : "Canadians' blood at Dieppe, you can smile old pirate."))

It's amazing! I left Montreal in early 1987, I thought the whole separatist thing would of subsided by now, it seems it got worse!

When I went on the PQ website the other day I wanted to ask them why have an English page?!? I know it's propaganda, but it would be like having Himler publish a newspaper in Yiddish!

I know...

What I think is that PQ did that to make less intelligent French beleive that they are not Facists. Seeing an English version, they could think : "Hey, may be they are not that bad..."

The bad thing is that those jerks have the right to vote ! :rolleyes:

Maestro said:
...and he built and installed a statue of an other asshole (Charles De Gaulle) in front of the town hall !
Even though he was booed out of Québec back in '68! :rolleyes:
The prick tried to get them to join France!

Maestro said:
No need to say that this statue got some troubles... (Paint was thrown at it, a little smart-ass even wrote the following sentence : "Le sang des Canadiens à Dieppe, tu peux sourire vieux pirate." (Translation : "Canadians' blood at Dieppe, you can smile old pirate."))
Beautiful!:thumbleft:
Although it seems to me that that's another thing with the separatists, and you've indicated it about them too. They couldn't care less about the struggle of the veterans! Not even Québécois veterans! :evil:

So what you're saying is that the separatists are in fact warming up to France now? :confused:

Maybe those assholes would do well to remember this! Plenty of Québécois were there too!
http://www.onf.ca/enclasse/dday/dday.html

Link courtesy of trackend. :cool:

And if those BQ pricks honestly think that these guys are going along for the ride, they're completely f*cked! They're as canadien as they come brother!

Attachments

• vandoos_2_183.jpg
    vandoos_2_183.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 522
  • vandoos_1_158.jpg
    vandoos_1_158.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 532
  • vandoo_1_548.jpg
    vandoo_1_548.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 516
Well ya know when I was there (Montreal) in 83-87, I some "sepies" ask about me being drafted and how I could serve in the US Army, they didn't even know that the US didn't have a draft anymore?!?

Nonskimmer said:
Although it seems to me that that's another thing with the separatists, and you've indicated it about them too. They couldn't care less about the struggle of the veterans! Not even Québécois veterans! :evil:

Well, approximatly 90% of all separatists think that WW II was not "our" war. They think it was an "English War" made by the British Empire to save it's own ass. They think they were not concerned and that it was a scandal to force Québekers to go at war against their Hitlerian friends. Because most separatists think Hitler was a hero. :crazy:

The "Charles De Gaule's statue thing" is a long story though, and could be taken in different ways.

In the 60s, when that asshole came to Montréal, he declared during his speech (in front of hundreds of PQ minions (and in French)) : "I feel like in Paris during the Liberation. Live to Québec... (Crowd applauds) Live to FREE Québec ! (Crowd applauds)"

So, was it a federalist angry about that declaration ? Was it a separatist angry about Québec role in WW II ? Was it an Imperialist angry because of De Gaulle attitude in front of the British before and in the early months of the war ? (Yeah, he spent a long time to piss on British.) We'll never know.

Force Québecers to go to war? Most of them were volunteers! Sure some were conscripted as the war dragged on, just like men all over Canada, but many of them chose to fight! They were Canadians! More separatist bullshit!

Although I could probably see how some of those recruiting posters with the Union Jack might not go over so well in Québec. :dontknow:

Attachments

• can1_173.jpg
    492.2 KB · Views: 503
I find that a bit strange, myself. The numbers I mean. Québec has always had a huge chunk of the national population, but look at the proportion of anglophone troops to francophone troops during WWII. The overwhelming majority of them were still anglophones, even with conscription. I would have expected an anglo majority, but the numbers still seem a bit lopsided to me.

But then again, I suppose I can understand it after all. Historically, French-Canadians were subjected to some degree of prejudice by English-Canadians, particularly in the armed forces back then. It certainly isn't like that nowadays, but at the time Canada was very much pro-British Empire, and the assimilation of French-Canadians into a British style military didn't always go easily. The Navy in particular was especially brutal towards "Frenchmen". The government didn't make things any easier, and I've always felt that a little less "God Save the King" and a little more "O Canada" should have been emphasized back then. In fact both my grandfather and great-uncle, who fought in the war, agree with this.

And that didn't help matters either, when it came to recruiting afterward. But despite what many separatists like to believe, they weren't sent in en masse because they were considered to be any more expendable than anyone else. They were landing in France and they spoke French. They were a natural choice.

Yep - It makes sense to most people, but this is used for separatist propaganda and many buy this BS. All the Francophone WW2 vets that I met were proud of what they done, supported a united Canada and always thought most of the PQ were "Commies!"

You know I hate to say this but I think the separatists need to be put in a situation where they see their province in immediate danger, either by a major natural disaster, outside terrorists or an invading force (other than the US I hope :rolleyes: ). See how quick the Ottawa Government or the Canadian Armed Forces become very popular! 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back