Mosquito Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Brent

Airman
May 9, 2018
Looking at the recent Mosquito restorations, I notice that the Merlin V-12 as installed has 5 exhaust outlets per bank of 6 cylinders. Any ideas as to why, and which cylinders are siamesed? I would suspect it would be two cylinders 180 degrees apart in firing order.

Looking at the recent Mosquito restorations, I notice that the Merlin V-12 as installed has 5 exhaust outlets per bank of 6 cylinders. Any ideas as to why, and which cylinders are siamesed? I would suspect it would be two cylinders 180 degrees apart in firing order.
It was to keep the exhaust out of the radiator inlet, the rear two were siamesed as per the pic of resin model.

1555679722812.png

On the single-stage Merlin in the Mosquito, the two rear exhausts on each side were 'twinned', I believe in order to clear the leading edge of the wing, particularly inboard, where the radiators were located.
The earlier 'saxophone' exhaust (shown below) had the front two ports with stubs, with the remainder in a 'collector tube', the shape of which gave it its name.
On the longer, twin-stage Merlin, the exhausts consisted of six stubs per side.

Elvington 354.jpg

Always good to know there are technical-minded people around to A Qs like this. Many thanks, A Grunt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back