Mosquito versus the German fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

..ten years since Erich told us 'wait for his book!' ( there's no book...) German author Andreas Zapf has published his " Mosquitos over Berlin " (book is German text " Mosquitos über Berlin. Nachtjagd mit der Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262 " )

- a first look and a chat with the author about Me 262 night fighters, Kurt Welter, and Mosquito hunting on my blog here

FalkeEins - the Luftwaffe blog: "Mosquitos over Berlin" - a chat with Andreas Zapf; Moskitojagd, Kurt Welter and Me 262 jet night fighters

Give him a break. He has been battling much more important things the last 5+ years.

Were there any plans to equip the Mossie with Griffon engines?

Yes. To begin with, when the design was being draughted, de Havilland produced figures for a Griffon engined machine, pending availability of the engine. Another proposal saw a single engined Sabre powered variant or two enlarged Napier Daggers. These of course were paper projects before final design was settled on. It is worth remembering that the DH.98 also went through a design phase where it was to be fitted with a four-gun tail turret and powered by two Griffons. Performance figures were calculated and compared with the unarmed Merlin engined paper plane and not surprisingly the performance decreased considerably fitted with the tail turret.

In 1941 the DH.102 was proposed, which was the Griffon engined Mosquito, which was never built. It was to be a bigger, more powerful Mossie, basically, but by the end of December 1942 it had been cancelled through lack of enthusiasm. The Merlin 61 engined Mossie had around the same performance as that of the DH.102, also de Havilland had its hands full with the Vampire and Hornet.

The brakes were put on many British late war aircraft development projects because of the financialand economic exhaustion faced b the British. Many worthy projects simply did not receive proper funding and were still born as a result

Users who are viewing this thread

Back