Most "Bad Ass" looking Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Most-badass-looking heavy bomber, the PB4Y-2 Privateer.
Though I'd prefer the twin tails of the common B-24 Liberator.
1590072035407.png

1590072077268.png

And I thought the ZSU23 was a badass looking weapon! Do you know what caliber these are? Looks deadly, but where are the armored shields these kinds of weapons usually have? A couple of B25Js in a scissors attack would wipe these guys out.
Flakvierling 38 (20mm) - they were deployed in large numbers at strategic locations as well as being fixed to mobile mounts, like the "Wirbelwind", which was a converted Pzkfw IV chassis.
They were also mounted on various Sd.Kfz halftrack types, too.

After all these years I finally find out that was an actual me-109 type. I thought they just came up with something "Messerschmidtish".
The Emil was the most "badass looking" of the 109 series. It just looks the part. When most folks hear the word Messerschmitt, the Emil is the image that comes to mind.

I built it so long ago. My aircraft spotting skills were from "studying" comic book illustrations back then. Now I have to review ME (BF)-109 variants...after studying up on 30-40marks of Spitfires. More homework.

"Texaco nine seven, Hooker two six is precontact."
"Hooker two six cleared to contact position. You're scheduled eight thousand pounds this tank, will that do it?"
"Affirm, Texaco, good flow."
Talk about memories... During Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom all of our tankers used oil company call signs. For security reason of course. Gulf, Texaco, Chevron, Phillips, Union 76, Sunoco and etc...

I am showing my bias but either a P - 82 or a Tigercat. I like the idea of twin engines, maneuverability and one engine operation.

Hi.
This may not count since, although it was produced during WWII, I think only a few were delivered before Japan's surrender, but I always have been "intrigued" by the looks of the BTD Destroyer (and the XSB2D it was based on(shown in the 3rd image)).

53089-c401b50d945040af1b001ee2f6b43c93.jpg
btd-15[1].jpg
786px-Douglas_XSB2D_Destroyer_left_side[1].jpg

In one of the "World's Worst Aircraft", Ed Heineman (the designer) was quoted as calling it the "Turkey".

I had that Emil, too! And the yellow Zero and the OD P40E, and the black (or almost black) FW190. Aurora was rugged as hell, but poorly detailed, and Lindbergh was fairly well detailed, but kind of flimsy. I would rate Lindbergh ahead by a nose, if handled carefully. I liked Monogram if I couldn't afford Revell, which was most of the time.
What a blast!
Cheers,
Wes

But...that wasn't an Emil; it had an under-chin radiator, making it a Dora, or earlier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back