Most Beautiful Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Bf 109 is sleak and beautiful looking but has a mean aggressive look to her, a warbird look of what she is meant to do....kill.

The P-51 Mustang is much cleaner than the Spitfire.

The Corsiar has a beautiful shape to her and the gull wings are just awesome!

Maybe the fact it looks fragile is part of the appeal? I'm not going to change my mind, but then nor are you going to change yours. Like many other things on this site, it's a question of opinion. Somone might find an F-16 bristling with missiles more beautiful than biplane of WWI, or a good game of baseball better than a good game of "soccer", it's all a question of opinion, and, in many cases, patriotism.

Gotta be the Spit. Must be the elliptical wings. Still second on my list to the B-17.

Attachments

• after_the_battle.jpg
    after_the_battle.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 175
When I walked into the hanger today my eyes went right to the 109 it has the look of a killer .

But when the people of Britain looked to the skies in the summer of 1940, they saw the 109s prowling a cross the skies like the ever-present Nazi threat they represented. Then they saw the Spitfire, the very sign that although all Britain's major allies had fallen or left her, she would still fight alone; to the death.

And the elation felt when they saw the trademark elliptical wings, it didn't matter how many casualties or how many Ju88s downed.
All that mattered was that Britain would fight, and at least take some Nazis with it. I have spoken to several people who were in Britain during this time, you see, and there really was a worry of invasion. People didn't know how much power Hitler had. The Germans were right on our doorstep remember, and they loved to remind us...

blitz-high-street-w400-h310.jpg

But when the people of Britain looked to the skies in the summer of 1940, they saw the 109s prowling a cross the skies like the ever-present Nazi threat they represented. Then they saw the Spitfire, the very sign that although all Britain's major allies had fallen or left her, she would still fight alone; to the death.

And the elation felt when they saw the trademark elliptical wings, it didn't matter how many casualties or how many Ju88s downed.
All that mattered was that Britain would fight, and at least take some Nazis with it. I have spoken to several people who were in Britain during this time, you see, and there really was a worry of invasion. People didn't know how much power Hitler had. The Germans were right on our doorstep remember, and they loved to remind us...

blitz-high-street-w400-h310.jpg
The only thing missing there was a chorus of Rule Brittania

That would have been mighty scary though. The wife and kids huddled around the radio listening to Churchill and his fireside chats about the Empire 1,000 years hence looking back and this was their "Finest Hour". Either you were emboldened... or scared sh**less.

My Mother-In-Law was a young woman working a metal lathe in Leicester, England during the blitz. I always wonder what it was like sleeping, eating, and going of to work while people were flying above you wanting to kill you and dropping bombs on you. Explosions at night, fires, alarms, anti-aircraft artillery going off, concern about invasion. You cannot help but admire that generation.

We are very fortunate that our families do not have to go through that experience.

I still think the Spit is sexiest

when that plane went down, it looked like a falling angel

when the 109 or 190 went down, they look like the moment before one of my terds hit the toilet water

Users who are viewing this thread

Back