Most Dangerous Position on a Bomber....?

Whats the most dangerous position on an Allied Bomber during WW2?

• Nose

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cockpit

• Top Turret Gunner

• Radio Operator

• Waist Gunner(s)

• Ball Turret Gunner

• Tail Gunner

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
The B-24 was my favourite bomber, closely followed by the B-25. Yes, I know the B-25 couldn't carry as much as the Lancaster or B-17..I don't care, it was a medium bomber.
The B-29 was still the best.

You've seen the 'Big Bombers' thread I made, right? They make me laugh, I'm trying to get a B-24, B-17 and B-29 together to compare the size, then maybe a B-52 and B-29 but I can't find any pics.

The B-24 was probably my favorite heavy of the war. And what of it's derivatives, the PB4Y2 Privateer is one of my all time favorites.

Attachments

• pb4y2.jpg
    pb4y2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 97
They do LOOK pretty cool but it's the whole thing with the tail that's weird.

It actually made for a more stable plane. The next version of the Lib that was scheduled to be produced (B-24N) was going to feature a single fin like the one of the PB4Y2.

I have to agree! 8)

I have been talking to another who posed the question of Lancs being built in massproduction in the US and what that might or might not have changed the war. I told him no, and it would have been really hard to do.

The B-24 and B-17 did a great job and I think in its roll so did the Lancaster. It did infact drop that big golf ball into the dambs ;)

They was a very hard operation, and they did it with great success. It caused a lot of trouble for Germanys industry if only for a short time.

Plan_D what was only a short time? German Industry took a big hit.
I ges it would be a short time because they were able to disperse and some went into underground caves, if I read that right.

Yes it took a big hit and it effected German industry for only a few months, the Germans were very good at getting back up to scratch. The German production went up every year from 1939 until 1945 when it fell dramatically.

within 36 hours the germans had 1400 workers on th site of the dams, now thats fast................

and it was a very important mission, at the time the US and russia were begging to doubt the usefullness of the RAF, the dambusters raid was the success they neede to prove themselfs...............

The Dambusters raid was a very successful raid. But you have to remember, Wallis was hoping it would end the war. In retrospect, there was no one raid that made the difference but rather is was the effect of all of the raids.

Well said Lightning Guy, although there were several raids that had more of an effect than others. The Dambusters being one of them...

I would agree with that. I would count the Ploesti raid in that group too. Looking back, it seems rather silly that both the British and the Americans really thought that spectacular raids like these would be enough to end the war.

Yes, but it's a lot easier for us to say it now since we've got the whole war in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back