Most Daring Raid

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A-Hem.....It's been 2 weeks since I proposed the Dams Raid; no cross examination or counter responses thus far……

Would it be too remiss of me to claim 'Case proven'? :faroah:

HOW ABOUT WHEN in 1940 blitz a handfull of german engineers landed in gliders on top of a huge dutch fort and shut it down with satchel charges and shmeisers ...or the mosquito raid on the gestapo prison in france ..or task force baum ,pattons ill conceived plan to spring his son in law ...jap parras take dutch indies airfield with pistoles and grenades ,,, preins scapa flow uboat raid was pretty awsome , doolittles b25s off of hornet ..the eboat raid right before d day .. chenaults tigers raid of siamese jap airshow , first raid ploesti

Dear majorwoody10. I don't deny any of 'em - at all! Prien's Foray into Scapa, in particular, must have taken gonads of ferric qualities plus more than a little planning and cunning; and I have a particularly soft spot for Doolittle's soireé to Downtown Tokyo too. However, the thrust of the thread was to debate 'Which was the most……'

So where are protagonist's arguments (with a small 'a') for the deeds you list? I happen to reason that the Dams raid has the edge and qualifies as the most daring.

It looks like this could use a poll. For me it has to be PH. It was daring on a unpresidented scale not seen before and never will be again.

Operation Chariot!

The raid on Pearl Harbour was just a larger scale version of Taranto.

Operation Chariot!

The raid on Pearl Harbour was just a larger scale version of Taranto.

Exactly, and the larger the scale the more difficult to accomplish. The more difficult to accomplish the more daring it is. As well as the difficuly is the potential results of the raid. Most Japaneese commanders knew that the result could very well be the destruction of thier country if things didn't go perfectly and they went ahead anyway. It doesn't get more daring than that.

Exactly, and the larger the scale the more difficult to accomplish. The more difficult to accomplish the more daring it is. As well as the difficuly is the potential results of the raid. Most Japaneese commanders knew that the result could very well be the destruction of thier country if things didn't go perfectly and they went ahead anyway. It doesn't get more daring than that.
Didn't the US navy during on excercise in the 30's perform the same raid on PH with its carrier force with the same results

Didn't the US navy during on excercise in the 30's perform the same raid on PH with its carrier force with the same results

Yes, there were scenarios and Navy exercises of an attack on Pearl. Billy Mitchell even predicted as early as 1924 that Pearl Harbor would be vulnerable to an attack by Japanese carrier based aircraft. He got court-martial for his efforts.

TO

TO; As for daring raids, haw about the British raid on the "Heavy Water" works
at the Vemork plant in Rjukan, Norway ? This was Operation Gunnerside, in
February 1943. A group of British commandos blew up almost
all the "heavy water" and melted into the night without a shot being fired.
Later, when 14 tons of the "heavy water" was to be shipped to Germany
they struck again, sinking the ferry "Hydro" in 1300 feet of water in Lake
Tinnsjo.

Richard Widmark starred in a movie about it, but I can't remember the name
of it.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back