Most iconic U.S. military weapon

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

still pretty though, see?

curtiss_p_40n_by_shelbs2-d32z9r6.jpg

Oh? Like we did it without any help??? come on, 'fess up, it was a community effort. The US was just dumb enough to grab the lion's share of the historic PR, thinking the world would be grateful.

Not sure what u r on about. I was describing the Jeep by the by. The know-how to mass produce. A pistol is still a pistol. A jeep is iconic because it symbolise Americana.

How about the most ironic instead of the most iconic US military weapon, I would go for the skyraider as despite all their space age inventions available in the 1960's the Americans still had to return to the ancient Skyraider and even talk about re-opening production of it.

This in one of the reasons that I love this site. Prior to this post, I had never considered the impact of weaponized SPAM. Was this revealed recently as some previously classified information or was there some security breach that revealed SPAM-related atrocities that the government was still desperately trying to hide? Was SPAM used as a PMOMD (Processed Meat of Mass Destruction) or a HLTW (Ham-Like Terror Weapon)?
Wow, it boggles the mind! It also makes me somewhat sick to my stomach.
Maybe, for my own good, I should stop myself from looking any farther into this issue. I do not want to wake up screaming "Have mercy on me. For God's sake don't open another can!"

Until this SPAM-related issue was raised, I was torn between the B-17 and the 1911 .45 caliber pistol as the most iconic weapons from the USA. Now both of them seem trivial in comparison.

edited to add: Arrrggghhh! It has been over half-an-hour and I cannot get the Monty Python song out of my head.! "Spam spam spam spam, spam spam spam....."
It is too late for me now. I won't make it out. Save yourselves while there is still time. I will try to suppress the spam long enough for you guys to get to safety. BACON, BACOn, BACon,BAcon, Bacon. bacon -<gasp> Damn you Capt. Vick, it is all your fault.<final gasp>

Last edited:
Spam is so well liked in Hawaii, it's almost the state food...they have varieties of Spam there on the islands that aren't found elsewhere and it's so popular that you can even order it at local fast-food restaurants

Spam sushi FTW.

I'm a native Orange Countian (born/raised), I can recall spam being popular when I was growing up...years later and 550 miles north and the folks on this end of the state still like Spam...just not in thier email

when you see movies or cartoons made in the world war 2 era you see the B17 and the P38. the P38 is a classic world war 2 plane that people seem to remember.

Ragman my favourite American aircraft has been the P38 ever since I made the airfix kit with sharks teeth transfers (that's decals if your American) when I was about 10 years old, my favourite German aircraft is the FW189 and my favourite post war British jet is the Sea Vixen, I love the shape of twin boom aircraft.

Spam is almost like an institution. It's been around a LONG time and probably will be for a long time. It's inexpensive, and edible (although that's a matter of opinion). But, like anything else, it's how you prepare it. It did keep the men fighting on all fronts, and eating that too many times will make you want to get the war over so you can get some better food. :)

Spam is good bait for catching Carp and Barbel in my local river. Otherwise I would only eat it if I had eaten both my shoes and my belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back