Most iconic U.S. military weapon

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
What do you think is the most iconic military weapon in the U.S. arsenal? The top three that come to my mind are:

B-17 Flying Fortress
Bell UH-1 Iroquois (Huey)
F-4 Phantom

I know arguments can be made for many others like the P-51, F-86, F-14/15/16. What do you think?

The only problem I see with the Sherman is so many other tanks are visually mistaken to be Sherman. When you see a B-17 or Huey, IMO you know exactly what it is.

WWII - The M-1 Garand...and the Jeep- after a great fall below that, maybe:

Browning M2 .50 caliber heavy machine gun, AVG P-40, B-17, P-51, C-47

Korea - F-86, Skyraider and the M-1 Garand

Vietnam- the Bell UH-1 Huey and the M-16, then maybe
Skyraider and the F-105D

Today - the M1A Abrams and the A-10

Tomorrow? - Zombie repellant and then bags of feathers, tar bucket and brush and maybe hemp rope for hanging crooked politicians and media talking heads.

Last edited:
Trinity_Test_Fireball_16ms.jpg

Jeep for sure

Iconic shape. American know how at its best.

Wins on all levels.

WWII - The M-1 Garand...and the Jeep- after a great fall below that, maybe:

Browning M2 .50 caliber heavy machine gun, AVG P-40, B-17, P-51, C-47

Korea - F-86, Skyraider and the M-1 Garand

Vietnam- the Bell UH-1 Huey and the M-16, then maybe
Skyraider and the F-105D

Today - the M1A Abrams and the A-10

I said MOST ICONIC, not ALL ICONIC. :lol: All great nominations though!

Most will have different opinions but I'm going with the B-17. I also like the nomination of the Jeep.

The only problem I see with the Sherman is so many other tanks are visually mistaken to be Sherman. When you see a B-17 or Huey, IMO you know exactly what it is.
I dunno, tall triangular hull with a cheese box turret. Kind of singular in my mind. But, to each his own.
Although, now that I think on it, the jeep is a pretty good one.

Last edited:
Back in 20th century, people here were calling all American soldiers 'marines'. Guess they really qualify.

Tough call, but the P-51 Mustang is probably one of the most iconic of WWII, but the P-40 is also noteworthy, especially with the shark mouth.

For me though, I would have to say the C-130, today's equivalent of the C-47. They were first delivered in December of 1956, and are STILL flying for militaries all over the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back