Most ignored combat aircraft of ww2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seriously, the Arado 234 should be much more famous than it is...if you go outside of the "interested" or "knowledgable" WW2 community, it is certainly not appreciated or even known about. The world's first dedicated jet bomber/recon.

Seriously, the Arado 234 should be much more famous than it is...if you go outside of the "interested" or "knowledgable" WW2 community, it is certainly not appreciated or even known about. The world's first dedicated jet bomber/recon.
Thats a great pick. Ya I've kinda always wondered why such a groundbreaking design gets just about zero press.

If you want to get right down to it, the Heinkel He280 (the world's first combat jet) was not only a missed opportunity, but a little-known aircraft that could have ushered in a new face to the airwar over Europe.

The He280 was a purpose-built fighter, where the Me262 was an interceptor/heavy fighter.

*IF* the He280 had the engines it needed (material for a whole different thread) AND had been accepted into service, it could have been flying top cover for the Me262 long before the Luftwaffe lost it's dominance over European skies.

The He280 made it's first powered flight on 22 September 1940, almost a full year before the Me262 prototype made it's first test flight with a Jumo 210 V-12 in it's nose - it's first jet powered flight was on 18 July 1942 - nearly two years after the He280 proved it's worth.

He280-unknown.jpg

If you want to get right down to it, the Heinkel He280 (the world's first combat jet) was not only a missed opportunity, but a little-known aircraft that could have ushered in a new face to the airwar over Europe.

The He280 was a purpose-built fighter, where the Me262 was an interceptor/heavy fighter.

*IF* the He280 had the engines it needed (material for a whole different thread) AND had been accepted into service, it could have been flying top cover for the Me262 long before the Luftwaffe lost it's dominance over European skies.

The He280 made it's first powered flight on 22 September 1940, almost a full year before the Me262 prototype made it's first test flight with a Jumo 210 V-12 in it's nose - it's first jet powered flight was on 18 July 1942 - nearly two years after the He280 proved it's worth.

View attachment 501734
Seems like there were alot of missed opportunities on all sides. So many of them look so obvious now on hindsight but maybe for some reason they didn't at the time.

Is it true that the baka bomb was a slightly re designed v-1. I've read this but always wondered if it were true
I've never seen a connection, to be honest.
The MXY7 used a solid-fuel rocket, instead of a Pulse-jet engine, the wing configuration and general layout is not close to the Fiesler Fi103(r) at all.

The J8M1 on the otherhand...
Mitsubishi J8M1 Shusui[720].jpg

The MXY7 used a solid-fuel rocket, instead of a Pulse-jet engine, the wing configuration and general layout is not close to the Fiesler Fi103(r) at all.

View attachment 501735
That can't ne a coincidence. Thats gotta be a 163. Did that ever see any kind of service with Japan?

View attachment 501735
That's obviously a 163. Did that ever see any kind of service with Japan?

That can't ne a coincidence. Thats gotta be a 163. Did that ever see any kind of service with Japan?
Not a coincidence at all...Japan purchased a complete Me163 and plans with licensing, but the actual Me163 and engine were lost enroute to Japan.
Which also points to a little known fact: Japanese subs were operating in European waters. The IJN Subs RO-501 (sunk in the Atlantic) and I-29 (sunk near the Philippines) were carrying the parts/plans.

The Japanese built the Mitsubishi J8M1/KI-200 in both glider (for training) and powered versions but none were used in combat since the war ended before they could get full production going.

Not a coincidence at all...Japan purchased a complete Me163 and plans with licensing, but the actual Me163 and engine were lost enroute to Japan.
Which also points to a little known fact: Japanese subs were operating in European waters. The IJN Subs RO-501 (sunk in the Atlantic) and I-29 (sunk near the Philippines) were carrying the parts/plans.

The Japanese built the Mitsubishi J8M1/KI-200 in both glider (for training) and powered versions but none were used in combat since the war ended before they could get full production going.
Truly jawdropping so to speak. I think I've learned more hear in a couple hours than in a typical year of reading. Thank you ! Got to get up early tomorrow. Have already stayed up a couple hours later than i probably should have but just couldn't put the phone away for obvious reasons. Thanks again.

Truly jawdropping so to speak. I think I've learned more hear in a couple hours than in a typical year of reading. Thank you ! Got to get up early tomorrow. Have already stayed up a couple hours later than i probably should have but just couldn't put the phone away for obvious reasons. Thanks again.
You're very welcome!

This is why the WW2Aircraft forum is one of the best on the 'net - always something to discover!

And thanks for starting the thread, it's been fun - have a great evening! :)

I would like everyones opinion on the most ignored combat aircraft of ww2. This goes beyond aircraft that don't get there due to aircraft that get pretty much ignored completely inspite of a major contribution to the effort at least in what I would call the popular press. My nomination would be the SBD Dauntless.

One question I have is how does one differentiate between "most ignored" and "most underrated?"

The second question is how did you decide on the SBD, which is pretty much universally credited with destroying the IJN's carriers at Midway?

For US aircraft, I would vote for the Catalina, especially the "Black Cat"squadrons. For the Germans, probably the Hs123. For the Commonwealth, most likely the Albacore. The Soviet air forces, in general, have been ignored in the Western popular press.

As an aside, my definition of popular press is likely different from yours, in that my definition would include just about all non-academic publications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back