Most Overrated aircraft of WWII.....?

The most over-rated aircraft of WW2

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A decent sample is on Spitfireperformance but mine were largely found in the microfilm of squadron histories obtained from USAFHRC over the course of 45 years. I think Dr. Frank Olynyk may have included the site of each victory credit in his many volumes on the subject. I have his data by VC by type AC by Theatre by date by Squadron/unit - but not specific location/time.

Thanks for the reply. And I salute your long-term research project! Impressive.

Building 23,000 of anything is quite the vote of confidence, from them who had to both build and fly it. Few airplanes from that era were built in that numbers.

Sarcastic question: I wonder what the Germans thought about it? Did they think it was overrated?
Numbers don't mean much. Case in point - many more B-24s were built than B-17s (almost twice as many) and nobody can tell me that the B-24 was better bomber than the B-17! And I think that they built more P-40s than Spitfires. So? The Brits had one good design that they stuck to - the Spitfire. Difficult to manufacture and maintain but aerodynamically great. All their other designs during the war had a lot of issues that took forever to rectify. I submit that had they been quicker in solving the structural issues with the Typhoon and its engine, a lot of things would have looked differently.

Numbers don't mean much. Case in point - many more B-24s were built than B-17s (almost twice as many) and nobody can tell me that the B-24 was better bomber than the B-17!

"Better" depends on what metrics one is looking at. I'm biased towards the B-17 myself; my grandfather fought and died on one. But the powers-that-be are the ones which write the budget and fund the procurements, and they thought the -24 was better insofar as it had longer range and usually a heavier bombload.

And I think that they built more P-40s than Spitfires. So? The Brits had one good design that they stuck to - the Spitfire.

The Brits never built P-40s, nor the Americans any Spitfires, so those numbers, being segregated between the countries, renders the comparison inapt, to me. I'm talking about the decision-process inside an air ministry or other single-government organ of state. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

The fact the Brits built so many Spits tells me that of their early-war fighters, it was the one which checked more boxes for them.

Numbers don't mean much. Case in point - many more B-24s were built than B-17s (almost twice as many) and nobody can tell me that the B-24 was better bomber than the B-17! And I think that they built more P-40s than Spitfires. So? The Brits had one good design that they stuck to - the Spitfire. Difficult to manufacture and maintain but aerodynamically great. All their other designs during the war had a lot of issues that took forever to rectify. I submit that had they been quicker in solving the structural issues with the Typhoon and its engine, a lot of things would have looked differently.
There were a lot more Spitfires than P-40s produced, but they were in production longer and the Spitfire was also made as a PR and a carrier aircraft. Between the Hurricane, Typhoon and Tempest Hawkers sold about the same number of planes as Supermarine did but they were rarely doing the same job in the same place at the same time

There was more global demand for B-24s because overall it was a better combat performer. Longer range, larger bomb load for same range, 15% faster cruise speed at altitude, more flexible mission profile, lower loss rate per sortie - Usually one of those will work for you. And yes, B-17 my favorite bomber all-time.

Reflect that the B-17 had a very strong AAF top leadership support when WWII started and it was the bell cow for 8th and 12th AF early stage combat ops. It was only heavy bomber available in 1942 in Pacific. But also recognize that range/payload was a premium attribute and the B-17s were gradually replaced in all theatres except MTO and ETO in 1943 and that only B-24s could do something like the Ploesti strike. Further reflect that even the 8th was beginning to replace B-17 equipped BGs with B-24s and the MTO finished 3:2 ratio B-24:B-17.

All the new BGs arriving for ETO in January 1944 forward were equipped with B-24s.

Even Spaatz was 'converted'.

Aircraft had many uses apart from dropping bombs. One of the first uses of the B-24 was taking ferry pilots back to the USA. There was an Atlantic gap to close. All those VIPs, documents, drawings and pattern parts that crossed the Atlantic needed something to transport them.

Twice as many Bell P-39s were produced during the war compared to the figure for the Hawker Typhoon and Tempest put together. Make of it what you will...

Difficult to manufacture and maintain
Can't have been too difficult to manufacture, when the Supermarine factory was flattened by the Luftwaffe production was dispersed to smaller units across Southampton and Hampshire. Maintenance well they kept them flying in N Africa and Malta and those conditions don't come much worse.

If the Spitfire had never fired a shot it would still have been one of the best aircraft of the war. Photo reconnaissance Spits flew over Europe constantly finding targets for RAF and USAAF bombers then checking the damage caused. Soldat Schmidt couldn't sneak off for a quick smoke without being photographed by a PR Spitfire

I disagree with the logic that production numbers are directly related to whether an aircraft is overrated or not, at least once they are in mass production, as this merely shows that the customer thought they were worth enough to continue in production, even in preference to aircraft that may be somewhat better. Whether or not an aircraft is overrated is dependent on how it's viewed by posterity, not by its users at the time of its service.

Last edited:
I disagree with the logic that production numbers are directly related to whether an aircraft is overrated or not, at least once they are in mass production, as this merely shows that the customer thought they were worth enough to continue in production, even in preference to aircraft that may be somewhat better. Whether or not an aircraft is overrated is dependent on how it's viewed by posterity, not by its users at the time of its service.

Or perhaps how it's viewed by a concurrent adversary? USAAF thought highly of the P-38; LW pilots apparently not so much. Could we not then say that the USAAF overrated it, or conversely, the LW underrated it?

No one datum will tell the entire truth of the matter, but production choices and numbers do give insight into what the respective nations thought of the planes they were building at the time they were building them.

Twice as many Bell P-39s were produced during the war compared to the figure for the Hawker Typhoon and Tempest put together. Make of it what you will...

Yes, but how many of those were shipped to the Soviet Union?

The USAAF didn't care much for the P-39, but the Soviets found it suited their needs well.

Once you have a factory (or two) tooled up and cranking out several hundred planes a month it is hard to turn off the system. Often things like landing gear and air frame forgings are ordered months in advance.
It can take months or nearly a year from first production to the 500th example.
Switching production from a not so great plane to the latest and greatest can mean hundreds of planes not built in a given year.

P-38, produced 1941 - 1945: 10,037
P-39, produced 1940 - 1944: 9,588
P-40, produced 1939 - 1944: 13,738
P-47, produced 1941 - 1945: 15,636
P-51, produced 1941 - 1945: 15,586

Hurricane, produced 1937 - 1944: 14,487
Spitfire, produced 1938 - 1948: 20,350
Typhoon, produced 1941 - 1945: 3,317

Of those 9,588 P-39s built, 4,719 went to the Soviet Union.

I have always been proud that the last official RAF Spitfire flight took off from my local aerodrome RAF Woodvale. PS915 a Spitfire XIX of the Temperature and Humidity Monitoring flight took off on the morning of 11th July 1957 flew her mission then in the afternoon flew in formation with her sister PRXIXs PS853 and PM631 to RAF Biggin Hill to join the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back