Most Overrated aircraft of WWII.....?

The most over-rated aircraft of WW2

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

AH HA!!! I see what you mean now, thanks for clarifying.

So in the end, the answer was "A", I was reading the chart wrong.
Its that thing with statistics, lies and damned lies. It is a valid point to say that the actual numbers were low. You cannot extrapolate to what the numbers would have been if they made 10,000 A-36 aircraft. Some accidents were due to incorrect use of dive brakes (deploying after the dive started). So it would be fair to assume the rate would drop as frequency increased. Similarly, primary, basic and advanced trainers look "safe" but a pilot has to fly all three so in part the accident rate is cumulative. What cant be argued is the total, 13,621 fatalities in training is a huge number of deaths and 12,506 aircraft lost is around the production numbers of many popular individual types of WW2 aircraft.

From Shores, the A-36s had a pretty high loss rate in combat (to all causes). But they were doing very dangerous work: tactical bombing over German held territory at low altitude. Most fighter bombers (including P-40, P-47) lost 5-10% when doing similar raids.

This was the story of both the Spitfire and the Typhoon.
Before war was declared all Spitfires were MkIs despite all the many differences they had during and after construction. With the opening of the Castle Bromwich factory it could be put into "mass production" with the MkII. But the new fatory started producing as the BoB was reaching its height and only numbers mattered. The next generation of Spitfire should have been the Mk III but this was shelved in favour of more Mk Vs which were almost as good and used the many already manufactured fuselages. Then there should have been the Mk VII and VIII but these were made in small numbers because the MK IX was almost as good and could be made in bigger numbers because the fuselages were already there. It wasnt until the last months of the war that Supermarine could start to produce what they wanted instead of what was needed.

With the Typhoon after the tip and run scare was over some Typhoons were produced and put in storage then uprated in preparation for D-Day. There were many things that could have been done to make a better Typhoon but what was wanted was more of the same basic Typhoon.

Only one operational unit transitioned to B-26s during the war. That was the 73rd Bomb Squadron in Alaska that traded in their old B-18s in early 1942. All others 22nd BG, 38th BG, 42nd BG trained on them prior to the war or were stood up as B-26 units from the get go. Exception being the 17th BG that was converted from B-25s to become one of the two B-26 training units in 1942, before handing that job off and going to North Africa later that year. 1942 was the worst year for B-26 accidents as thousands of newly graduated pilots were thrust into an unforgiving high performance twin with zero prior twin engine experience. The early short wing birds, B-26 and B-26A and early B-26Bs that formed the core of training units had the early R-2800-5 engines that were only rated to 1850 BHP at takeoff. They also had a lot of issues with prop failures and weak landing gear. In Alaska, based on the accident reports that I have seen (Tip to aviationarcheology.com for making these available at a reasonable price) most accidents were weather related, with landing accidents being the next biggest offender. Of the landing accidents, material failure was a major cause - burst tires, hydraulic failure or failure of landing gear to properly extend or lock. A couple crashes were due to too much speed, not enough runway. Only a couple were due to running out of altitude before reaching the runway.

When 14 Squadron RAF converted to B26's in 1942 from Blenheim's the only accident was one of the American instructors and that wasn't his fault.

Attached is an article from the 14 Sqn association about their conversion to the type.

That's my statistical contribution to this thread. I have all the surviving German Air Ministry (RLM) records digitised to text searchable pdf. I've simply run a few keyword searches and the chart above is the result.

The disclaimers are:
This does not cover the entire war
Some pages are too rough for the OCR to work
The dates covered are not balanced (ie there is very little during the battle of Britain, but a virtually complete record from late 42 to late 44. So that would obviously slightly bias the chart towards aircraft which were most active in the last three years of the war.

Obviously it is only pertinent to aircraft in engagement with Germany. There are others I could search for, but this was my first serious attempt.

F6F Hellcat vs A6M Zero-Sen (Young) mirrors similar statistics. It further adds that 48 Hellcats from VF-5, VF-9, VF-16, and VF-25 claimed 30 "Zekes" in the early morning attack on October 5th.

The book also mentions encounters between the A6M and F6Fs on both the 6th and 14th of September 1943, with Ensign James A. Warren of VF-33 becoming the first Hellcat pilot to claim a Zero-Sen in aerial combat on September 6th.

The most over rated aircraft has to be the B-17.

Only place it was really used was in England, every other theatre it was surpassed by the B-24.

The B-17 was designed as a 4-engine medium bomber (they used 4-engines to get the speed required for the AAC competition).

If WWII was started one year earlier, the B-17C/D was the front line variation and would have been dropped faster then the TBD-1.

If WWII was started 1-year later, the B-17 would have been out of production (as obsolete) and Douglas and Vega would have been already building B-24's and Boeing gearing-up for the B-29.

The only place the B-17 is the hero is in the movies because England during WWII was the vacation spot for war correspondents and Bassingbourne was the country club of WWII airfields.

The next most over rated design has to be the Bf 109 - again, a cheap design, poor armament, poor handling, pretty much obsolete in 1943

The most over rated aircraft has to be the B-17.

Only place it was really used was in England, every other theatre it was surpassed by the B-24.
It was used in the Pacific and in the MTO, 15 AF, do your homework
The B-17 was designed as a 4-engine medium bomber (they used 4-engines to get the speed required for the AAC competition).
Not true
If WWII was started one year earlier, the B-17C/D was the front line variation and would have been dropped faster then the TBD-1.
If the Queen had balls she'd be the King!
If WWII was started 1-year later, the B-17 would have been out of production (as obsolete) and Douglas and Vega would have been already building B-24's and Boeing gearing-up for the B-29.
Again, If the Queen had balls she'd be the King!
The only place the B-17 is the hero is in the movies because England during WWII was the vacation spot for war correspondents and Bassingbourne was the country club of WWII airfields.
Can I have a hit of what ever you're smoking?
The next most over rated design has to be the Bf 109 - again, a cheap design, poor armament, poor handling, pretty much obsolete in 1943
Delirium has now set in!

Are you a professional - or amateur - Troll? If professional, please register for limited access via Joe or Chris? If amateur, bless your heart.

I was going to choose either the Lancaster or Me-262 because I'm bored. This is better.
My favorite bit, is this:
Only place it was really used was in England,

Just imagine if the B-17 had ventured to other places, like perhaps France, Belgium, Germany, Italy and so on.

Would have been interesting to see how things turned out...

Users who are viewing this thread