Most Overrated aircraft of WWII.....?

The most over-rated aircraft of WW2

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

True facts about the Gloster Gamecock can be found on the Dark Web. Apparently they were flown in a unique formation called Väinämöinen's spears, which was superior to all American or German tactics, and was used by Gamecock pilots to exploit the weak spot in heavy bombers and cheap, poorly armed fighters alike.

488px-Sammon_puolustus.jpg

The technique used against this harpy here was essentially the method used by Gamecock pilots against B-17s in the little known "Fall War" between US and Finnish pilots. Which I read about on the Dark Web.

True facts about the Gloster Gamecock can be found on the Dark Web. Apparently they were flown in a unique formation called Väinämöinen's spears, which was superior to all American or German tactics, and was used by Gamecock pilots to exploit the weak spot in heavy bombers and cheap, poorly armed fighters alike.

View attachment 646628

The technique used against this harpy here was essentially the method used by Gamecock pilots against B-17s in the little known "Fall War" between US and Finnish pilots. Which I read about on the Dark Web.
This is a joke, right?

It was used in the Pacific and in the MTO, 15 AF, do your homework

Not true

If the Queen had balls she'd be the King!

Again, If the Queen had balls she'd be the King!

Can I have a hit of what ever you're smoking?

Delirium has now set in! :facepalm:
1) It was in limited use in the Pacific until the end of 1942 then used as armed transports

2) yes, I should have said Europe not the England (slip of the keyboard).

3) B-17 systems was very much obsolete before WWII - do your homework on the B-17 structure. The systems, flight controls, defenses were all top of the line in 1938 and well surpassed by 1942.

4) B-17 was definitely a medium bomber - just because you put balls on the queen does not change the original AAC specifications followed by Boeing when designing the B-17

5) the 15th AF had serious talks with the 8th AF to swap out the 5th BW's for B-24 groups that were inbound to the 8th.

6) I noticed you did not disagree that RAF Bassingbourne was called the Country Club by the press !

That's the difference between being a B-17 historian vs being a B-17 fanboy, when you read several thousand combat reports, S-3 reports, accident reports, unit reports, engineering reports you learn how to find the truth vs somebody that only watches 12-o'clock high reruns.

My favorite bit, is this:

Just imagine if the B-17 had ventured to other places, like perhaps France, Belgium, Germany, Italy and so on.

Would have been interesting to see how things turned out...
Try reading slowly and enunciating the words - the B-17 really (again note the word really) was only used by the 8th AF in England.

1) There was 35 x B-17 units in England
2) There was 6 x B-17 units in Italy.

Majority of the B-17 units (really used) was over England

Don't be a Karen

I was going to choose either the Lancaster or Me-262 because I'm bored. This is better.

Read the 15th AF combat reports -- a lot of mentions of Me 262's running away from combat and refusing to fight

Are you a professional - or amateur - Troll? If professional, please register for limited access via Joe or Chris? If amateur, bless your heart.

I have 4 B-17 books published, a 5th book on the way and a 15th AF war diary

What have you done

B-17 systems was very much obsolete before WWII - do your homework on the B-17 structure. The systems, flight controls, defenses were all top of the line in 1938 and well surpassed by 1942.
OK I will bite, what "defenses" was anybody lese using in 1942 that were better than the B-17 was using?
Because the B-17E & F sure weren't using what the YB-17s were using for defense.

From Joe Baugher's web site.

"Outwardly, the B-17B differed from the Y1B-17 only in having a revised rudder with larger area, larger wing flaps, and a revised nose that eliminated the greenhouse gun turret in the upper nose and the belly bomb-aiming window in the lower nose. "
" More-powerful R-1820-51 engines were fitted which delivered a maximum power of 1200 hp for takeoff and 900 hp at 25,000 feet. The most significant change was the addition of turbo-superchargers. Internally, many systems were changed and crew members were relocated. The brakes were changed from pneumatic to hydraulic."

and the kicker.

"The first B-17B (38-211) flew for the first time at Seattle on June 27, 1939."
The single YB-17/B-17A was flown in useable form in Nov of 1938.

So no B-17 used in any combat theater was using 1938 engines, or turbos, or the 1938 defensive set up or very many of the same systems as the "1938" B-17.

Try reading slowly and enunciating the words - the B-17 really (again note the word really) was only used by the 8th AF in England.

Don't be a Karen
Some were used in Scotlands Shetland Isles, a place called Pearl Harbour, Ive seen the movie.

Last edited:

Don't be a Karen
The Il-2 was only used on the Eastern Front, the Mitsubishi A6M Zero was only used in the Pacific Theatre - so what? They were still some of the most important combat aircraft of WW2?

The B-17 was used in many parts of Europe: flown from Great Britain, Italy and even from the Soviet Union. The B-17 was also widely used by the USAAF in the Pacific against the Japanese.

I have 4 B-17 books published, a 5th book on the way and a 15th AF war diary

What have you done
I have published two FG histories plus latest. "P-51B: North American's Bastard Stepchild that Saved 8th AF". And your point? Check the Amazon ratings on it, and Our Might Always - History of the 355th FG in WWII. Tell me where I may find yours?

BTW - insulting GrauGeist with the Karen remark is way over your knowledge base paygrade. Forget about me for the moment, the guys you are debating have forgotten far more than you will ever know - unless you are a.) Roger Freemen is back from the dead and b.) suffering from juvenile Dementia.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back