Most Overrated aircraft of WWII.....?

The most over-rated aircraft of WW2

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Note that who was writing about the air war, and most of all, where they were. Chronkite, Murrow and Rooney and with few exceptions, all others writing about the AIR WAR did so out of England ... talking to the crews between missions, and spending each night comparing notes in Mayfair London bars.
So, the aircraft operating out of there got all the glory ... B-17s, Spitfires, Mosquitos, Mustangs, C-47s, P-47s, etc.

Few correspondents bothered to go to China-Burma-India, North Africa, Italy, Eastern Front, South Pacific and Aleutian Islands or travel with North Atlantic, Murmansk, South Atlantic convoys or the long USN shipboard cruises. Sure, they avoided them as it was difficult to file stories from those locations, but consider that many aircraft were mostly serving in those areas due to their availability at the time (mostly early war) or their longer range and the missions those remote locations concentrated on. Often a combination.
Early on, the P-40, P-39, P-36, Buffalo, F4F, PBY-5s, Gladiator, A-20s and Hurricanes were stop gaps, being supplanted by longer range P-38s, Venturas, B-24s, PBMs, Hudsons, C-46s which were heaped into the theaters for their range and load carrying.

The Navy realized that they were getting less coverage, and put correspondents on remote bases and aboard ships, like John Ford at Midway.
Only when the war in Europe wore down and conflict shifted to the Pacific did the B-29 begin to feature.

Invariably, aircraft produced in quantity had good attributes ... just wound up being used in roles they were not designed for. IMHO, surveys like this tend to be fruitless exchanges, like sports challenges in a happy hour.
For not living up to its hype, it's hard to compare to the Fisher P-75
And the wonderful thing about this site is you always have the option of just scrolling to the next thread!

Always like the P-75A though

My experience online is that these best-of/worst-of/most-overrated/most-underrated threads (guitars, general history, WWII av) never find a resolution but allow great conversation. What-ifs as well catch some stick but I like them for the same reason, that they make me think of alternatives and get me outside my own box.

Most decisive WWI battle? Biggest armored flop? Most useful gun? I don't need to agree, I just need to read, because the info will be flying fast and loose.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think the F4F was the last Navy plane to be tested with a terminal velocity dive.
Test pilot took the plane up to a certain altitude and then dove down vertical or near vertical until the plane simply didn't go any faster (drag equaled thrust/gravity) and the pilot pulled out. Quite often a special test pilot was hired to do this test instead of the regular company test pilot/s. The Navy also required every design to perform a 10 turn spin to the right and a ten turn spin to the left.
The Corsair was supposed to be the first plane that didn't have to pass these tests although they tried more than once.
With planes that had the speed of the Corsair there simply wasn't enough altitude to perform these tests like they did with the biplanes and first generation monoplanes. The tests, like the spin tests, took a lot more altitude per turn of spin. The dive test was running into compressibility.
I knew three Vought guys including two test pilots (one was Boone Guyton) and engineer Russ Clark. The F4U had a critical Mach of 0.74, which impressed my girlfriend whose 737 cruised at 0.74!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back