Most Overrated aircraft of WWII.....?

The most over-rated aircraft of WW2

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Note that who was writing about the air war, and most of all, where they were. Chronkite, Murrow and Rooney and with few exceptions, all others writing about the AIR WAR did so out of England ... talking to the crews between missions, and spending each night comparing notes in Mayfair London bars.
So, the aircraft operating out of there got all the glory ... B-17s, Spitfires, Mosquitos, Mustangs, C-47s, P-47s, etc.

Few correspondents bothered to go to China-Burma-India, North Africa, Italy, Eastern Front, South Pacific and Aleutian Islands or travel with North Atlantic, Murmansk, South Atlantic convoys or the long USN shipboard cruises. Sure, they avoided them as it was difficult to file stories from those locations, but consider that many aircraft were mostly serving in those areas due to their availability at the time (mostly early war) or their longer range and the missions those remote locations concentrated on. Often a combination.
Early on, the P-40, P-39, P-36, Buffalo, F4F, PBY-5s, Gladiator, A-20s and Hurricanes were stop gaps, being supplanted by longer range P-38s, Venturas, B-24s, PBMs, Hudsons, C-46s which were heaped into the theaters for their range and load carrying.

The Navy realized that they were getting less coverage, and put correspondents on remote bases and aboard ships, like John Ford at Midway.
Only when the war in Europe wore down and conflict shifted to the Pacific did the B-29 begin to feature.

And the wonderful thing about this site is you always have the option of just scrolling to the next thread!

Always like the P-75A though

My experience online is that these best-of/worst-of/most-overrated/most-underrated threads (guitars, general history, WWII av) never find a resolution but allow great conversation. What-ifs as well catch some stick but I like them for the same reason, that they make me think of alternatives and get me outside my own box.

Most decisive WWI battle? Biggest armored flop? Most useful gun? I don't need to agree, I just need to read, because the info will be flying fast and loose.

Last edited:
I knew three Vought guys including two test pilots (one was Boone Guyton) and engineer Russ Clark. The F4U had a critical Mach of 0.74, which impressed my girlfriend whose 737 cruised at 0.74!

Users who are viewing this thread