Most Overrated aircraft of WWII.....?

The most over-rated aircraft of WW2

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Four 12 ga Remington 1100s with drum mags full of 3" Magnum rifled slugs in the wings, two more each on swivel mounts top and bottom aft. Gefahr! Stackelschwein!

That's gonna be one pretty married groom, sounds like.

Getting ready to buy an 870 here m'self.

ETA: not for marryin' the chilluns, just have some critters running around.

Last edited:
Just recently picked up a Franchi Affinity semiauto in 20 gauge. Sweet bird and varmint shotty.
Got one of those cheap Hatfield semi autos that everybody loves to hate. Cleaned and lubed it before shooting, and have had no trouble with it at all. Wonder if the folks who are fussing about them are the sort that don't take care of their stuff.

Just recently picked up a Franchi Affinity semiauto in 20 gauge. Sweet bird and varmint shotty.

Franchi has been around a long time, they usually feature an aluminum alloy receiver for lighter weight compared to other brands. I think they're owned by the Beretta Corporation now. A cousin of mine has a couple of their 1960s vintage guns, a 20 gauge shotgun and a .22 autoloading rifle, both somewhat based upon old Browning designs. The 20gauge is just plain sweet, but it kicks some because of the 5 1/2 lb weight.

To your point of 'most over-rated'. Versus what? What 'rating' do you take exception to? AFAIK it was never rated as Best of anything, merely good at a lot of things.
I agree. Considering that, in early in 1941, the A-20B has a top speed of 350 mph at 12k, much faster than the Zero, about as fast as a Bf 109E, and only 10 mph slower than an Fw 190A, at this altitude. In addition, it's cruise speed of 278 mph in the area where the maneuverability of Zero is starting to degrade due to control forces. Throw in its noted ease of flying makes it ideal for newbie pilots, which were coming out in groves. I think it is an under-rated aircraft.

I agree. Considering that, in early in 1941, the A-20B has a top speed of 350 mph at 12k, much faster than the Zero, about as fast as a Bf 109E, and only 10 mph slower than an Fw 190A, at this altitude. In addition, it's cruise speed of 278 mph in the area where the maneuverability of Zero is starting to degrade due to control forces. Throw in its noted ease of flying makes it ideal for newbie pilots, which were coming out in groves. I think it is an under-rated aircraft.

Are you sure about the top speed every source on Google seems to give a top speed of around 320mph and cruise at 280mph. Still very fast for 1941 about the same speed as a Beaufighter.

These and other reasons are why I have the Havok number one on my list of under rated aircraft of WWII. If I had been a pilot in that war, it's the only twin I'd have wanted to go into combat in, especially in the pacific.

The link won't open for me it starts to open then disappears, probably my dodgy broadband. What's the top speed shown.
DAF14C1D-F439-43E1-A708-63BF815D7889.png

there you go

These and other reasons are why I have the Havok number one on my list of under rated aircraft of WWII. If I had been a pilot in that war, it's the only twin I'd have wanted to go into combat in, especially in the pacific.
My father flew A20, A-26 and B-26 in various stage of his career as a fighter pilot - liked all of them, but stated that A-20 flew like a fighter

I've definitely been guilty of underrating the A-20. I didn't realize it had such good performance.
Another Heinemann hotrod. Just think if they'd put a machine gun battery nose on it like they did on B25s later, what an unholy terror it would have been in the Port Moresby - Lae feud early on. Zeros would get one pass at it, MAYBE, then be over the hump of the Owen Stanleys before they could catch up to it again. That is, IF they survived the initial head-on pass against a battery of boresighted .50s. What do you think, could you fit six in there without resorting to cheek blisters? Anybody for eight? Any takers?

Don't see why they couldn't fit lots of M2s in there. The Lightning had 4 plus a Hispano and the A20 nose is similar width and deeper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back