Most Overrated aircraft of WWII.....?

The most over-rated aircraft of WW2

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Really wasn't trying to be. I just can't see the C-47 as being overrated. What other air force had anything better? I don't know if the ME -323 and the C-47 are considered in the same category. The JU-52 certainly wasn't as good. My basis? How many airlines purchased Ju-52s compared to the DC-2/3? Money talks, bullsh*t walks. I don't know the answer but I'd feel real comfortable betting on the Gooney Bird. The DC -3 is still in service in some places. I have seen one flying Ju -52 (by chance) around 1992 as I was walking to my car. I have seen a lot more Dakotas than that. No sh*t but at Suvarniphum(?) Airport, Thailand in 2016 I watched a DC-3 push back from a gate.
I don't chime in on aircraft comparisons. I'm not knowledgeable enough. I actually surprised myself by reacting as I did to seeing this airplane on the list. I tried (unsuccessfully) to phrase it humorously. Unless it turns out that he owned Douglas Aircraft stock, I'm going with with General Eisenhower's assessment.

Last edited:
The C-47/ DC-3 was one of the best if not the best all round aircraft of WW2. I would also go on to say one of the best all round aircraft ever built!!!

I think it is the greatest aircraft ever built.

Fun fact: back in 2010 when Haiti had that major earthquake that decimated the island, the first relief flight to the island was flown by a DC-3.

This was rather dependent on theater. It didn't have enough range for many recon missions in the Pacific.

The Russians used a number of the early ones (without armor or self sealing tanks) for Recon and were fairly successful. But most of eastern Europe didn't have anywhere near the flak density or fighter coverage of either western Europe or the Med.

See: The Douglas A-20 Havoc/Boston in Soviet Service

although some of the claims may be a bit overstated ;)

Naval bombers' claims were overstated significantly, indeed. By rule of thumb, they can be divided by 5, numbers, or tonnage.

Naval bombers' claims were overstated significantly, indeed. By rule of thumb, they can be divided by 5, numbers, or tonnage.
I rather like the Soviet totals.

"claimed the destruction of 171 tanks and 617 trucks and automobiles."

Not rounded to the nearest ten or even five, but precise/to exact number of ground targets destroyed.
The tanks and trucks/automobiles ALL burst into flames and went over cliffs or off bridges? ;)
Witnessed by at least one other pilot or observer?

I rather like the Soviet totals.

"claimed the destruction of 171 tanks and 617 trucks and automobiles."

Not rounded to the nearest ten or even five, but precise/to exact number of ground targets destroyed.
The tanks and trucks/automobiles ALL burst into flames and went over cliffs or off bridges? ;)
Witnessed by at least one other pilot or observer?

Next thing you'd say is that Rudel didn't destroyed 500+ tanks, or that Hs 129 haven't decimated the Soviet armored formations? I'm shocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back