MOST OVERRATED AIRCRAFT OF WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In my experience only about 25% know what Great Britain is, they just think it is all England.

Most at first thought Atlanta was under attack when the Russians rolled into Georgia...;)

My first day in High School in North Carolina after moving from Germany, a fellow student asked how long the drive was. I told him 2 weeks after they build the bridge. The teacher had to explain to him that you have to fly or take a boat. I'm serious...

I haven't read any books on how the Brazilians saved the British during the BoB, but there are scads about the Poles.
A Question of Honor
The Forgotten Few

etc.

Most at first thought Atlanta was under attack when the Russians rolled into Georgia...;)

My first day in High School in North Carolina after moving from Germany, a fellow student asked how long the drive was. I told him 2 weeks after they build the bridge. The teacher had to explain to him that you have to fly or take a boat. I'm serious...
It is actually a phenomena, most people who have worked with US citizens have at least one story to tell. I worked with an American guy in Saudi Arabia who claimed he hadn't heard of either New Zealand or Australia. There was an Iranian passenger plane shot down at the time
Iran Air Flight 655 - Wikipedia

He always referred to it as an Iraq plane, and always maintained that Iran and Iraq were actually both the same.

A similar phenomena comes from Glasgow in Scotland, I have met more than a few who are really happy if you cant understand what they say, as this "proves" they have their own language, actually they just speak English badly. With Americans I believe they don't learn geography because it is a way of saying and thinking nothing outside matters, because it is impossible to reach 26 years old and never to have heard of either Australia or New Zealand.

Last edited:
I haven't read any books on how the Brazilians saved the British during the BoB, but there are scads about the Poles.
A Question of Honor
The Forgotten Few

etc.
The Poles and Czechs performance in the Battle of Britain deserves to be lauded. Czechoslovakia and Poland are on the east side of Germany, it took a massive effort for so many ace pilots to reach the UK a complete contrast to the French who were just across the channel and had one of Europes largest air forces. Some French did join the RAF but if 200 or 300 front line experienced pilots had come to the UK when France fell, the Battle of Britain would not have been close.

It is actually a phenomena, most people who have worked with US citizens have at least one story to tell. I worked with an American guy in Saudi Arabia who claimed he hadn't heard of either New Zealand or Australia. There was an Iranian passenger plane shot down at the time
Iran Air Flight 655 - Wikipedia

He always referred to it as an Iraq plane, and always maintained that Iran and Iraq were actually both the same.

A similar phenomena comes from Glasgow in Scotland, I have met more than a few who are really happy if you cant understand what they say, as this "proves" they have their own language, actually they just speak English badly. With Americans I believe they don't learn geography because it is a way of saying and thinking nothing outside matters, because it is impossible to reach 26 years old and never to have heard of either Australia or New Zealand.

It shames me to actually say I get the same feeling...

We are getting way off topic though.

It shames me to actually say I get the same feeling...

We are getting way off topic though.
Heck, I get the same feeling talking to Americans and I am one.

Back onto something resembling topic, Polish cryptanalysts were very important, possibly crucial, to breaking the Enigma cipher.

As times goes on I think planes like the Spitfire and Lancaster on the UK side become increasing over rated because all others are forgotten. Away from this and other similar places any discussion of WW2 aviation concentrates on these two to the exclusion of all others.
I think it's caused by the demise of young people making models. Every British kid made a model spitfire at one stage, having made that you go into a model shop and look for another, the Airfix catalogue was full of all sorts of aircraft, I learned the word asymmetric from the Airfix description of the BV 141. In the late sixties and early seventies, the instructions were a long hand description which told you the name of each part and at the start was a fairly comprehensive description and history of the aircraft modelled. With the switch to international pictorial instructions the history was shorter and I noticed I was just joining pieces together, I had no idea what they were.

Last edited:
As times goes on I think planes like the Spitfire and Lancaster on the UK side become increasing over rated because all others are forgotten. Away from this and other similar places any discussion of WW2 aviation concentrates on these two to the exclusion of all others.
I think it's caused by the demise of young people making models. Every British kid made a model spitfire at one stage, having made that you go into a model shop and look for another, the Airfix catalogue was full of all sorts of aircraft, I learned the word asymmetric from the Airfix description of the BV 141. In the late sixties and early seventies, the instructions were a long hand description which told you the name of each part and at the start was a fairly comprehensive description and history of the aircraft modelled. With the switch to international pictorial instructions the history was shorter and I noticed I was just joining pieces together, I had no idea what they were.

Exactly those reasons why I voted P-51. The aircraft itself certainly was not overrated. It's just if you ask a kid today what aircraft dropped the atomic bomb, the answer would be "Why the P-51 of course. Don't you know silly, it was the only aircraft built and used by everyone for everything."

Ok, that was a bit of an exaggeration...:lol:

We have some Moldovans working at our shop. Their family lives in Atlanta. When I asked them where they were from they said "Georgia".
I replied "Stalin came from Georgia too, comrade."

Earlier this year I was holed up in Yakusk Siberia, couldn't fly the An 2 into a mine site due to weather. Siberian's (Asiatic people) actually love Georgian food so the place has a great Georgian restaurant. "Khachapuri" Georgian wine is superb as well. I became friends with a team of Boeing engineers when I pointed them to that resturaunt. This is the coldest city and airport on earth. They had flown across from Seattle to get "conditions" for testing some "product", they must have wanted -50C or less. They wouldn't talk about what it was. They were glad to find a nice restaurant. It has a nice Irish Pub as well which the Siberian girls do a good job in.

The girls in Moscow and St Petersberg look like Swedes. The media teaches us nothing but lies and crap about people. Russians, Germans whatever.

We're not far from totalitarianism as well.

The Georgian staff in this restaurant were impeccable. Really polite and orderly.

Khachapuri
Ulitsa Yaroslavskogo, 13/2, Yakutsk, Саха /Якутия/ Републиц, Russia, 677000
+7 411 226-16-01
Google Maps

Exactly those reasons why I voted P-51. The aircraft itself certainly was not overrated. It's just if you ask a kid today what aircraft dropped the atomic bomb, the answer would be "Why the P-51 of course. Don't you know silly, it was the only aircraft built and used by everyone for everything."

Ok, that was a bit of an exaggeration...:lol:
Perhaps not, my daughter would probably say "B 52, well its a letter and a number anyway, so, what is a B52 then"

B-52? Isn't that the quirky band that managed to wrangle "narwhal" into the lyrics of one of their songs?

Yeah...I know. Coat time (AGAIN)! :)
yup, I would say that B52 is the only military aircraft she knows because she likes music, if indeed she does, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back