MOST OVERRATED AIRCRAFT OF WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Many of the projected early versions of what became the Me 262 had engines mounted centrally in the wings rather than under slung. I don't think the fuselage was an option given the need for two engines, given the size of WW2 fighters generally, and a requirement for the armament to be in or close to the fuselage.

The early engines were so short lived and unreliable that having them fitted under the wings, almost as a modular power egg arrangement, may have been a significant operational bonus.

Cheers

Steve
I had a long conversation with a Me 262 pilot who was an Ace credited with 17 kills. He said two things of interest, they could get only two flights on the engines and the air time was about 55 minutes. Even so, they were a real threat.

I had a long conversation with a Me 262 pilot who was an Ace credited with 17 kills. He said two things of interest, they could get only two flights on the engines and the air time was about 55 minutes. Even so, they were a real threat.

Did he achieve kills while flying the Me-262 Bill?

Cheers

Bill,

On the missions you flew do you recall the predominate type of fighters you saw, and if so the tactics they preferred?

Thanks,
Biff

Bill,

On the missions you flew do you recall the predominate type of fighters you saw, and if so the tactics they preferred?

Thanks,
Biff
Biff....I only saw two aircraft in the air, ME 109 and an ME 210. The ME 210 was under us headed east as we were leaving headed west. Broken clouds prevented me from seeing him until the last minute. He was close enough to shoot had I seen him sooner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back