Most skilled pilots

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good info there, and why would the IAF go to Alaska. I could ask my buddy about that because he was stationed in Alaska in 2004.

More on Cope India...

"The whole world knows that if you mess with U.S. Air Force pilots, you're going down. Hard.

Except, someone forgot to send the memo to India, apparently. Because, in recent exercises, Indian flyboys in low-tech Russian and French jets defeated American F-15C pilots more than 90 percent of the time.

Now, granted, the Indians had the Americans outnumbered: usually 10 or 12 to 4, during the Cope India air combat exercise held last February around the Gwalior Air Force Station."

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/000976.html

I think this shows that Russian aircraft, if flown correctly and without strict GIC requirements can compete with western aircraft. I once read that during conflicts with Israel, if Egyptian or Syrian pilots deviated from GIC orders, there were severely reprimanded, a common Soviet doctrine.

Still, being "waxed" when you're facing 3 and 4 to 1 odds with pilots who were trained with western philosophies is nothing to be ashamed of, but should be noted..

I think it should be remembered that these were not standard Russian aircraft. They are in effect Russian airframes matched to some of the best technology in the West, a powerful combination.
Russia has always produced first class airframes, its the electronics that tended to lag behind.
Remember when the Mig 29 first came to notice and it was realised that it was a good amtch to the early F16 but with technology closer to the F4. The helmet mounted sight was more than a bit of a suprise as well.

Glider said:
I think it should be remembered that these were not standard Russian aircraft. They are in effect Russian airframes matched to some of the best technology in the West, a powerful combination.
Russia has always produced first class airframes, its the electronics that tended to lag behind.
Remember when the Mig 29 first came to notice and it was realised that it was a good amtch to the early F16 but with technology closer to the F4. The helmet mounted sight was more than a bit of a suprise as well.

Agree! When I was in Botswana one of their air-tactics instructors was from India. We had a lengthy discussion on how the IAF got the best of both worlds, but one-on-one this guy indicated that aircraft like the -15 and -16 were very difficult to beat....

No doubt about it. I would want the F15 - F16 on my side.

It always amused me when I went to Duxford, that they had an F15 in the museum, that would wipe the floor with any RAF fighter that we had in service (pre Typhoon)

Glider said:
No doubt about it. I would want the F15 - F16 on my side.

It always amused me when I went to Duxford, that they had an F15 in the museum, that would wipe the floor with any RAF fighter that we had in service (pre Typhoon)

It was probably very broke! :rolleyes: ;)

Attachments

• f_15_989.jpg
    f_15_989.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 103

Users who are viewing this thread

Back