Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lanc appears to have been modeled a stunning beauty, then partly melted, then built to the partly melted model. "Ugly" would be best applied to anything the Lanc bombed.View attachment 589552

This thing looks cool, in a cartoony way. Not really ugly like the Lanc. Just in my opinion.
Coolest looking British designs are the Beaufighter (now THAT is pugnacious and mean) and the Mosquito (really beautiful).

Need to resurrect this thread. There are plenty of homely newcomers out there to admire!

How about this one, the More DB-10 (and "DB" does NOT mean Daimler-Benz):

They thought of almost everything. It even has a handrail should you accidentally fall forward from the cockpit!

or the Farman F.120:

Now THAT likely has some fugly genes in it, like the "drool bucket" below the center engine. There may be one or two more ugly design features, but ... they escape me just now.

Another candidate:

There is NO logical explanation for this work of art.

Oops, looks like we LEFT OFF an engine from this Viscount. OK ... let's FIX that quick, before the flight is late for departure! Get me some superglue! I bet that helps visibility during final approach. See below:

Fiat made a helicopter. About what I'd expect:

Think you'll win the business negotiation if you shown up on the roof in THAT? It screams out "my mother wears Army Boots, lives in a tent, and I'm stupid!" Heck, the two guys in the pic can't even decide which side of the door leads inside. The tail rotor is a hoola-hoop with a prop inside it. Fix It Again Tony!

See below:

This Great Lakes aircraft was designed by three different committees who were not allowed to communicate with one another. The people who designed the rear of the cockpit wanted a picture window so the people inside could inspect the tail surfaces before flight. What is even scarier is that it has a tail hook for carrier operations! Looks like if you yank on the tail, it would just fall over onto its nose. Luckily enough, they only built 1. The question in my mind is "Why weren't they shot?"

Only a Frenchman could think of these lines:

Bleriot 125. Maybe it needs a bra? On the other hand, maybe the twin fuselages were turned over, had axles added, and were used to make the first Airstream travel trailers. They certainly didn't waste any time making curved plexiglass for the cockpit. They saved the hard work of bending plastic for the curved windows in the Airstreams. Wonder if you can actually steer any of the wheels?

Last edited:

The source of inspiration for Bleriot 125 designers:

The DB-10 does not show up in my web searches. Can you toss us a link?
I found this picture but no information:

Attachments

• DB-10.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 44
I just Googled ugliest airplane and clicked some of the links and then followed up clicking ugly planes. I MIGHT be able to find it again ... I'll try for a short while and let you know.

OK, I Googled More DB-10 airplane and it's there, at least in my browser. Found here: Ugliest airplane? and here: File:Dyle et Bacalan DB-10 L'Aérophile August,1927.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

I'm afraid it doesn't get any better-looking as you continue to find pictures of it. I'm hoping this is the only picture. If there were any others, it might be considered as a conspiracy.

I spoke too soon! It IS a conspiracy:

Unfortunately, the designer did it AGAIN and made a ground attack version, the DB-20:

Not quite as ugly as his first effort with the DB-10! His innate sense of the abstract caused him to "dress it up" a bit, or so it seems.

I know it performed well, but this is just wrong:

If it were female, you'd have to tie a roast beef to her face to get the dog to play with her.

I don't care if this hauls a lot of cargo, it's UGLY:

I give you the Ayres Loadmaster or ... load-a-bricks.

Maybe this tells us something:

Ya' think? You would not think a primitive tribesman would have had much practice at hitting a target going 60+ mph, but the evidence suggests otherwise. Them boys should try out for the Olympic Team.

Last edited:

The PL-11 AirTruck is actually very logically designed: the fuselage contains the hopper, as it's an agricultural aircraft, which is placed so trim doesn't change during flight. The pilot is placed atop the hopper as it gives both good visibility and keeps the hopper from squashing him if he happens to run into a utility pole*. The separated tail booms are so a truck can back up and load the hopper from as closely as possible.

I wonder if the Farman designers were influenced by those at Dornier (Dornier Delphin, Dornier Delphin (Dornier, Friedrichshafen) - Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek)
Dornier made some other less-than-lovely aircraft (we won't talk about the Do X here...), such as the Do Y (By Unknown photographer - <a rel="nofollow" class="external free" href="http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/bww1/doy/doy-5.jpg">http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/bww1/doy/doy-5.jpg</a>, <a href="Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported — CC BY 3.0" title="Creative Commons Attribution 3.0">CC BY 3.0</a>, <a href="File:DornierdoY.jpg - Wikipedia">Link</a>)

-----

* Many years ago, when I was at Lycoming, an LTP-101 came in that had been installed in an agplane, which ran into a concrete utility pole. The pilot hit the pole with the spinner at about 100 knots. Rather amazingly, he survived without permanent disability.

Users who are viewing this thread