Most Unattractive Aircraft of WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i
I must confess I had not considered the effect of range as a limiting factor in the efficacy of ugly as a defensive asset.

Clearly, ugly as a defensive technique had very restricted utility. If it did, war would be a lot less common, considering that it, itself, is uglier than any possible aircraft.

i

Clearly, ugly as a defensive technique had very restricted utility. If it did, war would be a lot less common, considering that it, itself, is uglier than any possible aircraft.
How true. Think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody here that would disagree with you on that.

With regards to post 34, it was a fleet specification (S23.37) for an airplane that could shadow enemy fleets at night, fly very slowly so as to better stay with a ship formation and look for U-boats and other unfriendly things over the horizon and around the ships. The Fleet Shadower stalled at only 39 mph and could fly about comfortably at 50 mph. While I would NOT have wanted to serve flying one, it WOULD have been pretty good at shadowing enemy freighters in the absence of air cover.

Not many freighters were faster than a slow Fleet Shadower, even if it WAS uglier than a mud fence.

Perhaps they did it because they COULD ...

Now here's a ugly airplane:

TheADScout.jpg

It's the SD Scout. And here's another one, the French Duck:

TheDuck.jpg

But for a more modern look at a French Ugly Airplane:

TheDeuxPonts.jpg

I give the Deux.Ponts. Looks like an airborne Grouper (the fish).

Last edited:
With regards to post 34, it was a fleet specification (S23.37) for an airplane that could shadow enemy fleets at night, fly very slowly so as to better stay with a ship formation and look for U-boats and other unfriendly things over the horizon and around the ships.
Also of interest was the odd reduction gearing for the propeller. The result of which is a strange "off-centre" look.
300px-PobjoyR.JPG

pobjoy.jpg

The most ugly of all heavy bombers has to be the Avro Lancaster. With it's low-lying stabilizer, the non-retractable tailwheel, the hideous protruding bulb snout that is the bombardier's position, the dihedral, which starts at the inboard engine, and the unattractive wing shape it looks like a flying hunchback.
As a comparison the similarly outlined B-24 really looks cool. You could see there that small details matter visually.

Lancaster-01.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back