movies? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh, I entirely agree. Most of the war movies I've seen, I've enjoyed. Memphis Belle was a good little story too, and I also enjoyed the flight sequences evan.
And Med, if that film is the one I think you're referring to, I didn't like it either. ;)

Jon Bon Jovi is not a submariner!! :confused:

:lol:

Here you go, Med. I took some shots of Sally B at the RAF Mildenhall Air Fete in 1986. I need to rescan these. These were with my old crappy scanner. But they show the old paint scheme used before they filmed Memphis Belle.

Attachments

• 0b-17-1986_673.jpg
    0b-17-1986_673.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 0b-17-1986-2_110.jpg
    0b-17-1986-2_110.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 186
  • b-17-1987bwcrop_106.jpg
    b-17-1987bwcrop_106.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 191
I agree but there's entertainment and then there is artistic licence... then there's Hollywood... I think they are carrying on the great tradition of propaganda in WW2.

I recall Memphis Belle's director (?) Puttnam on TV saying he'd wanted to do a film about Bomber Command but no one would back it...

Some other movies are The Blue Max (awesome aerial scenes), the flying leathernecks, the flying tigers(both with John Wayne), dawn patrol, fighter squadron, A yank in the RAF, Patton(a few good scenes with He111's) Murphy's war, and Aces high. There are plenty more that I can't think of right now.
My favourites are-
Tora Tora Tora
Midway
Battle of Britain
12 O'clock high and a great doco called The Fighting Lady

Strictly speaking most plane movies will be a disappointment for one reason or another...
better to read a good book, fiction or otherwise, like 'Goodbye Mickey Mouse' or 'Piece of Cake' etc. Oops maybe that's getting off the subject and grounds for a separate post...?

Cool! Thanks Evan - I've just remembered that I do have one picture of the Sally-B taken at the end of the runway - I'll put it up when I can scan it!

Oh, but the post war Arrow (btw one of the main designers was a Pole) compensates it. :D

Poland built some planes before the war, so my next siggy will be one of them. I'm searching for some interesting shots 8)

The chief test pilot on that project was of Polish descent too, I believe. Janusz Zurakowski.
It's a real shame it couldn't go into production. It will always be remembered with both great fondness and sadness in this country.
I will now observe a moment of silence. :(

Thank you. ;)

You're welcome. 8)
yes, Żurakowski was involved too. As far as I know there were many Polish engineers both in Canada and USA involved in aviation industry. One designed a gun bay of F4 Phantom, another was participating in the works on f14 Tomcat, etc etc. In NAM war there was one Polish pilot flying f105 Thunderchief with a white eagle painted on the fuselage. I think his name was Kutyna. Later he was in NORAD centre.
Not to mention Gabby, American of Polish descent:)

Brunner said:
Hey, I've just reached 100 posts, beer to everyone :occasion5:

I still haven't got that beer yet! :cry:

Anyway back on subject, some more movies to look out for are - Captains of the clouds(one for Nonskimmer!), A wing and a prayer, I wanted wings, Airforce, wings of eagles and Appiontment in London.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back