MPM 1/48 scale Heinkel He-177 Grief

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Beautiful! Have you considered making a replacement decal with an inkjet printer?

Yeah, I tried that with other models. The main problems I run into with doing that is the image doesn't show up against dark backgrounds with clear back decal paper, and with white back decal paper the background color has to be the same as the surface for which it's designed. It looks sloppy with the white background. Your suggestion makes me want to give it a try, though. :)

You could possibly use two identical decals, one on top of the other, if the design is easy enough to align by eye.

Thanks, I might just try that. As it stands now, though, for all practical purposes........I'M DONE WITH IT!!!!! Except for that decal, and the wrong color Swastika on the tail, I think it's pretty much a done deal. After two years, I have to admit that it's finally finished. Relieved is more like it. A couple of pics.

He-177GriefFinal0001.JPG

He-177GriefFinal20001.JPG

He-177GriefFinal30001.JPG

I also slipped a Spitfire Mk II in during the summer.

SpitfireMkII0001.JPG

SpitfireMkIIb0001.JPG

SpitfireMkIIc0001.JPG

Also a Nakajima J1N1-Sa Night Fighter Gekko Type 11. This one I was working on as long ago as April, though. Had to slip the Kurogane four wheel drive vehicle in as well. 8)

NakajimaJ1N1-SaGekko0001.JPG

NakajimaJ1N1-SaGekko20001.JPG

This P-38 Night Fighter is what I'm working on at the present. Almost done, actually. :D

P38NightLightning0001.JPG

Nice looking beastie. What kind of swastika and what are the dimensions in millimeters please.

Geo

A black swastika, about 1.5mm. It's suppose to be a white outlined, with clear center, through which the aircraft surface shows. These came in half parts, and the first one I tried to apply folded over on itself, just like the other I mentioned. I don't understand why I have so much trouble with them. Since then, I have unfolded two decals that came with the P-38 Nightlignting with no problem, and I have unfolded several others. Most of the time the decals slide right off the backing, without problems, but they do fold now and then. The decals with this He-177 are really nice, and it may be that I've had trouble because they are so fine. It was hardly necessary to apply decal softening solution to the ones I got into place (all except two), because they seem to melt right down on to the model surface, as if painted on, from the start. I'm afraid it was once again my lack of skill that was the real culprit. :oops:

A black swastika, about 1.5mm. It's suppose to be a white outlined, with clear center, through which the aircraft surface shows. These came in half parts, and the first one I tried to apply folded over on itself, just like the other I mentioned. I don't understand why I have so much trouble with them. Since then, I have unfolded two decals that came with the P-38 Nightlignting with no problem, and I have unfolded several others. Most of the time the decals slide right off the backing, without problems, but they do fold now and then. The decals with this He-177 are really nice, and it may be that I've had trouble because they are so fine. It was hardly necessary to apply decal softening solution to the ones I got into place (all except two), because they seem to melt right down on to the model surface, as if painted on, from the start. I'm afraid it was once again my lack of skill that was the real culprit. :oops:

I'm thinking you mean 1.5cm? I've got some large swastikas that I will never use. If you can post a photo and size I'll check when I get home from camp on Wednesday.

Geo

I'm thinking you mean 1.5cm? I've got some large swastikas that I will never use. If you can post a photo and size I'll check when I get home from camp on Wednesday.

Geo

Yeah, you're right. Still fumbling with metric, sorry.

This is what I think you want but this is as large as I have. I also have solid white, solid black, and black outline in the same sizes.

003.JPG

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back