Musician Obituaries (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They were talking about him on the local sports radio show last night, stating how he was a great musician/singer, but from the sounds of it he was kinda a grade A a$$hat personality wise.

Perhaps so, but I buy albums, not personalities, for the most part ... aside from Gary Glitter, whose music sucked anyway. The difficulty comes with guys like Jimmy Page, whose music was great but whose predilections weren't, keeping 14-yo girlfriends, ripping off other songwriters, and whatnot. But I still love Led Zep's music.

Crosby had every right to be an asshole, as we all do, but liking or buying his music doesn't entail buying his behavior. Crosby was as flawed as any addict. It's an occupational hazard in the music business.

Perhaps so, but I buy albums, not personalities, for the most part ... aside from Gary Glitter, whose music sucked anyway. The difficulty comes with guys like Jimmy Page, whose music was great but whose predilections weren't, keeping 14-yo girlfriends, ripping off other songwriters, and whatnot. But I still love Led Zep's music.

Crosby had every right to be an asshole, as we all do, but liking or buying his music doesn't entail buying his behavior. Crosby was as flawed as any addict. It's an occupational hazard in the music business.
Also, people tend to change as they go through life.
A person who may have left the impression of being less than desireable to be friends with at an earlier point in their life, may have mellowed with time, until, later in life, they turn out to be a pretty nice person to be around.
The other side of that coin is, a person may come off that way, due to circumstances in their life that is no one's business but their own.
A wise man once said, It's hard to keep your hands clean, when you're slinging mud all the time.
How a person comes off to another, is mostly subjective to the person they're interacting with.
...things to keep in mind.

Guitarist Tom Verlaine, who rose to fame in the 1970s New York punk scene as the frontman of rock band Television, has died at the age of 73.

In their heyday, Television scored three UK Top 40 hit singles and were acclaimed for their albums Marquee Moon and Adventure.

[...]

Verlaine's death was announced by Jesse Paris Smith, the daughter of long-time associate and collaborator Patti Smith.

She did not specify a cause, saying that he died "after a brief illness".

One of my favorite bands. Sad news ...

I remember
Ooh, how the darkness doubled
I recall
Lightning struck itself
I was listening
Listening to the rain
I was hearing
Hearing something else
Life in the hive puckered up my night
A kiss of death, the embrace of life
Ooh, there I stand neath the Marquee Moon
Just waiting

I spoke to a man
Down at the tracks
And I ask him
How he don't go mad
He said, "look here, junior, don't you be so happy
And for heaven's sake, don't you be so sad"
The kiss of death, the embrace of life
Ooh, there I stand 'neath the Marquee Moon
Hesitating

Well, the Cadillac
It pulled out of the graveyard
Pulled up to me
All they said, "get in, get in"
Then the Cadillac
It puttered back into the graveyard
Me, I got out again
A kiss of death, the embrace of life
Ooh, there I stand neath the Marquee Moon
But I ain't waiting, uh-uh

I remember
How the darkness doubled
I recall
Lightning struck itself
I was listening
Listening to the rain
I was hearing
Hearing something else

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlbunmCbTBA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UjpWhF2d8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7L0IYPXKj8

I know she was not a musician per se, but she was part of my world as a teenager and as a young adult. She's still part of my world, even after I started feeling like being born One Million Years B.C.
NYPICHPDPICT000006714178.jpg

Hollywood star Raquel Welch, who became an international sex symbol in the 1960s, has died aged 82.
Welch-16-2.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDqgrZZtLnE

Last edited:

One of the best shows I ever saw was Heart opening for Jackson Browne. I'll never forget his solo on "Running on Empty."

One of the best shows I ever saw was Heart opening for Jackson Browne. I'll never forget his solo on "Running on Empty."

Belated answer, but Lindley's tearing it up on RoE (the live version, a hit in 1978) was a main driver to take up playing lead guitar and not just strumming chords.

Harry Belafonte, 96, Dies; Barrier-Breaking Singer, Actor and Activist

In the 1950s, when segregation was still widespread, his ascent to the upper echelon of show business was historic. But his primary focus was civil rights

Long ago my sister worked in Boulder, CO. They couldn't get Crosby to pay his telephone bills. He was not well thought of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back