Mustang crashes into crowd at Reno (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got an update from Bobby Graham of Bobby's Aero Services in Redlands, CA. Bobby Graham says...

Good News for the future of air racing.

Our new crew member, Matt Jackson, is not only a race pilot, aircraft business owner and aircraft owner (he also takes care of Tom Cruises P-51) but he is also the VP of the Unlimited Racing Class and head of the Safety Committee.

We had a long talk about the Reno crash on the way to Mojave today.

Matt believes the cause of the crash was due to The Galloping Ghost having a CG too close to the aft limit which resulted in pitch instability. There are instructions on the P-51 regarding no combat missions with the aft fuel tank full resulting in an aft CG problem. Instructions specify to empty the aft fuel tank first in flight.

During qualifying Matt watched Galloping Ghost from inside the cockpit of Furias and could not believe how much trouble Leeward was having in keeping the Ghost in a stable pattern around the course.

Since Leeward lives in Florida and the Galloping Ghost was modified for racing in Calif., when Leeward picked up the Ghost for the Reno races at the last minute, a complete flight test program had not been done based on available information.

There is a video of the entire last lap of the Ghost before the crash which Matt showed me. As Leeward was coming around pylon #8 at about 480 mph after passing Rare Bear, he hit turbulence which pitched his left wing down, Leeward corrected with hard right rudder and aileron. Just as the aircraft was straightening out, he hit a second mountain of turbulence which caused the tail to 'dig in' resulting in a 10+ G climb rendering Leeward unconscious instantly and resulted in the tail wheel falling out. (broken tail wheel support structure was found on the course). As the Ghost shot upward the LH aileron trim tab broke loose. This can be heard on the tape, so the elevator trim tab did not cause the accident.

Since the Ghost was racing at 480 mph with full right rudder and the stick full right, this is where everything stayed when Leeward blacked out. Cockpit camera film that was salvaged from the wreck shows Leeward slumped over to the right in the cockpit. As a result, the Ghost climbed up and to the right, rolled over on her back and then headed for the box seats. Most in the box seats never saw it coming because it came in from behind them.

Matt has had long conversations with the NTSB who call the accident a 'fluke'. They are not going to recommend canceling future races. He has also talked to the insurance companies covering the races for Reno and they also say they are not going to cancel their coverage of future races. Now we wait for the FAA to make a decision.

Ironically, Matt bought box seats tickets for his good friends who stayed with him for a few days before the races. They were the husband and wife who were killed.
--
Thank You for choosing
Bobby's Aero Services
1641 Sessums Dr .
Redlands , Ca 92374

Last edited:
You are quite welcome, and I sincerely hope this scenario proves to be the case.

It is an update from a "credible source" until we hear from the NTSB and FAA, but I believe Matt Jackson and assume the particulars are correct.

Matt is one of the good guys in ari racing and a great stick, to boot.

Perhaps one rule may be to disallow any racers without a complete documented flight test before the racing starts. Who can say at this point?

Very interesting since I got the email froma Reno racer. However, if it is BS, then we all need to take that into account. I'll wait for the final report and refrain from coming to a conclusion in public.

I am now sorry I posted the email but it seemed relevant to the topic at the time. It was not then and is not now my own conclusion, but it seemed to come from a good source. I suppose it was too good to be true ... a fast resolution is almost never the real case, is it? No more updates that don;t come from the NTSB or froma personal source taht us unimpeachable!

OK, back to reality. We saw the video as did the NTSB, the FAA, and almost everyone esle, I suppose. That much is certain.

The rest can be ignored. Speculation in private is almost impossible to stop, but it doesn't seem appropriate publically since I am not on the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back