MV-22 Osprey

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The major difference is that that thing is too damn Ugly to be used by the USMC, USN, USAF, or US Army....:lol:
Point taken I've seen some of the mugs of your aircrew plastered up against the plexiglass and it wouldn't be nice to see so much ugly at the same time so giving them a pretty airplane equals it out

How long till you start flying the beast, mkloby?

I have to put in 70 hours in the TC-12 which should take till april, then another 70 or so in the TH-57, which will take until sep I'm guessing... then it's MV-22 time! I have some ways to go still.

Point taken I've seen some of the mugs of your aircrew plastered up against the plexiglass and it wouldn't be nice to see so much ugly at the same time so giving them a pretty airplane equals it out

those must have been air force guys... naval aviators have to be good looking! If we're not, we just put on the leather jacket and play top gun theme :D

we just put on the leather jacket and play top gun theme
Amen to that!!! Anyway, I have heard from the rumor mill that the Osprey is being considered for the gunship role, much like the C-130, although probably with less powerful armament. Is there any merit to this rumor? On another not, I have read that the Osprey can be equiped with a .50 cal somewhere on the plane, my question is where?

.50cal ramp gun is in the work. The Air Force just began production of the CV-22 for use w/ special ops command. I'm not sure exactly what they'll be using them for though.

those must have been air force guys... naval aviators have to be good looking! If we're not, we just put on the leather jacket and play top gun theme :D

Being from Pensacola, I can tell you that my sister told me that she had never met a bad looking Naval aviator. She didn't say anything about Marines, however. Don't know if that means anything.

As a young guy growing up there, the competition was tough. Lost my first girlfriend to a Naval aviator. Marriage didn't last however. Serves her right! Actually worked out great for me, married a wonderful girl.

Being from Pensacola, I can tell you that my sister told me that she had never met a bad looking Naval aviator. She didn't say anything about Marines, however. Don't know if that means anything.

As a young guy growing up there, the competition was tough. Lost my first girlfriend to a Naval aviator. Marriage didn't last however. Serves her right! Actually worked out great for me, married a wonderful girl.

Hey - Marines are still "naval aviators!" It's in our MOS. It's official ;)

As a young Student Naval Aviator 34 years ago, I married a different
girl every weekend. I'm sure things haven't changed! And Marine pilots most
certainly are Naval Aviators...It is their finest quality!

As a young Student Naval Aviator 34 years ago, I married a different

girl every weekend. I'm sure things haven't changed!

34 years ago I was diving C-141s around the world, visiting places like Greenland, Iceland (P-3 Base), England, Sweden, Germany, Spain, Azores, Italy, Greece, Crypus, Lebenon, Jordan, Israel, Iran, Ethopia, Ivory Coast, Japan, Thailand, and of course dear Vietnam. Of course, one concrete runway is just like another. I never found a place nicer than the US. One of my warmest memories was hearing "MACXXXXX, this Boston Center, we have you in radar contact." I could relax, I knew the controllers knew what they were doing.

Two of my cousins married Navy pilots, one a chopper, and another a twin beech (old dude). Both were great guys, but we had typical discussions about the AF and Navy.
And Marine pilots most
certainly are Naval Aviators...It is their finest quality!

As an Air Force pilot I can say, gee, that's not saying much about the Marines. Actually, I was a big fan of the Navy and went to all their airshows and watch the Blue Angels practice overhead. If it hadn't been for a Navy Flight Surgeon not signing my flight physical, I would have been in the Navy. Worked out best for me though, no regrets. I got to fly two great planes, the T-38 and the C-141. Air Force life is a better life. Navy has better base locations, though.

I certainly wouldn't say the Fa 269 was a common design theory in 1933 when Dr. Heinrich Karl Johann Focke came up with it!

Not a design theory, as the design is complex, taking into account the power and weights needed for military service - but a common aviation theory that received much attention - taking off vertically, and flying like fixed wing.

3bw1003.gif

True enough but the reason the Germans couldn't go forward then was that considerable development was needed for the special gearboxes, drives, pivoting mechanisms and prop pitch controls for landing and taking off. Too many other priorities in the Reich at the time.

3bw1003.gif

True enough but the reason the Germans couldn't go forward then was that considerable development was needed for the special gearboxes, drives, pivoting mechanisms and prop pitch controls for landing and taking off. Too many other priorities in the Reich at the time.

Not to mention the unknown engineering design necessary to make the daggone thing work! Look what tons of computers and talented engineers had to do to make the V-22 work, well, maybe work. Ideas and concepts are dime a dozen and things like VTOL, flying wings and others look good and maybe even be modeled or demonstrated, but turning them into a fighting and working machine is a whole different story.

Got to go with dave on this one. I dont think the Germans could have gotten it going by 1945. They had to many priorities and look how long the US has been working on the V-22 and how many problems they have had with it and how many have died in the process. It was not a project to be had during the time of WW2.

Got to go with dave on this one. I dont think the Germans could have gotten it going by 1945. They had to many priorities and look how long the US has been working on the V-22 and how many problems they have had with it and how many have died in the process. It was not a project to be had during the time of WW2.

I think first flight was 1989!

Thought you guys might want to see this. Rather interesting. According to this chart only the development lifecycle has been longer. As I recall (at least a few years ago), a Class A is $1M or more damage.

From THE HELICOPTER PAGE

Attachments

• mishap.gif
    mishap.gif
    14 KB · Views: 81

Users who are viewing this thread

Back