MV-22 Osprey

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Better yet, I hope the Gov't makes you offers you can't refuse! $. Perks. Good duty stations. Housing. Medical. Bonuses. A lot of money is going into your training and in typical DoD fashion they will probably shortchange you and chase you off to the civil side. Hope they change how they operate. We need more highly trained, educated, and motivated guys like you Mkloby.

You know, amazingly - I tried to get in on the ground side before I went in... the recruiter was practically begging me to take the tests and go the aviation side. I thought to myself, "flying would be pretty cool." It really hit me a couple months ago, when I was up flying over Pensacola Beach at dusk courtesy of Uncle Sam, looking at the beautiful sunset and thinking... "holy sh*tballs, I get paid to do this..."

You know, amazingly - I tried to get in on the ground side before I went in... the recruiter was practically begging me to take the tests and go the aviation side. I thought to myself, "flying would be pretty cool." It really hit me a couple months ago, when I was up flying over Pensacola Beach at dusk courtesy of Uncle Sam, looking at the beautiful sunset and thinking... "holy sh*tballs, I get paid to do this..."

Nice beach to fly over. If you flew left hand pitch out patterns to the East runway at Sherman field (don't know the number) you would have flown right over my homestead at about 90 to final.

Oh well, at least for arming a counter-terrorism unit it would be ideal. Ability to have a faster transit to the area, and then hover while the mission is carried out. Could prove a significant factor in Urban Counter-Terrorism faster response, I reckon.

I never said the Wesserflug would or could have been viable. The point is that it is quite obvious that it, along with many German aircraft designs, were later incorporated by others around the world. It was the origiator of the concept nothing more. Give credit where credit is due.

I never said the Wesserflug would or could have been viable. The point is that it is quite obvious that it, along with many German aircraft designs, were later incorporated by others around the world. It was the origiator of the concept nothing more. Give credit where credit is due.

That is true...
With regard to MV-22 armament...
MV-22B are all incorporating .50cal ramp MGs, and MV-22C will have ALE-47 systems. Where's my damn 20mm turret up front!?

i doubt we can give the Germans sole credit for the concept, i doubt they were the first to think of it the theories atleast must have been around for some time...........

Funny you say that, Lanc. I actually went back to Da Vinci and looked through his technical drawings. Close, but didn't find what I was looking for. :)

I think, I can remember Da Vinci did something similar but I don't exactly have it in my collection... I have his steam powered tank though... Da Vinci was trapped in a world where he was ahead of what was technically possible. Ie. Steam Power doesn't really work for a tank- heavy armor and need to power those wheels that could dig in. Flight- Steam Power too heavy, also unsure about the availability of balsa wood or an equivalent...

I think, I can remember Da Vinci did something similar but I don't exactly have it in my collection... I have his steam powered tank though... Da Vinci was trapped in a world where he was ahead of what was technically possible. Ie. Steam Power doesn't really work for a tank- heavy armor and need to power those wheels that could dig in. Flight- Steam Power too heavy, also unsure about the availability of balsa wood or an equivalent...

I could make a technical drawing of a space travel machine... doesn't really mean a thing though...

I'd agree with that mkloby. Are there any overseas buyers? Or is just the Marines and the Army (or only the Marines)?

The Marine Corps and the U.S. Air Force are picking up the Osprey. The U.S. Army currently has no interest in the aircraft.

The Army has given a number of reasons as to why they are not opting for the Osprey as a tactical troop transport. I can give you my perspective as a career army aviator (22 years) as to why I feel the Osprey is not the right airframe for us. First the layout of the tilt-rotor airframe is not really conducive to flying at true Nap of the Earth altitudes (NOE). That environment is where we spend a large percentage of our time. In Iraq we usually operated at anywhere between 25' to 100' during the day and at night under NVG's we were usually between 100' to 200', during our approaches in and out of LZ's during combat air assaults we were lower. Also compared to the Army's primary assault helicopter the UH-60 Blackhawk the Osprey does not have the manueverability that we seek in a tactical aircraft. The Osprey was designed to meet the requirement that the Marine Corps has to move Marines from an amphibious assault ship (LHA) across the ocean at a high rate of speed and to deposit them on shore. We in the Army do not require that speed due to the fact we typically operate fairly close to the LZ/PZ and do not have to traverse great distances to reach our objective. I could go on, but the bottom line is that it just does not fit the needs of the Army. Our mission can best be accomplished with a conventional helicopter. BTW, hope Army JROTC is treating you well. I started out as a JROTC cadet in 1977 and have been in an Army uniform ever since.

But still you know what I mean. You still can find it impressive what Leonardo was able to do in his time. Who knows what he could have done if he were alive today. Invented an anti-gravity device for spacecraft to cancel out gravity perhaps...

The Army has given a number of reasons as to why they are not opting for the Osprey as a tactical troop transport. I can give you my perspective as a career army aviator (22 years) as to why I feel the Osprey is not the right airframe for us. First the layout of the tilt-rotor airframe is not really conducive to flying at true Nap of the Earth altitudes (NOE). That environment is where we spend a large percentage of our time. In Iraq we usually operated at anywhere between 25' to 100' during the day and at night under NVG's we were usually between 100' to 200', during our approaches in and out of LZ's during combat air assaults we were lower. Also compared to the Army's primary assault helicopter the UH-60 Blackhawk the Osprey does not have the manueverability that we seek in a tactical aircraft. The Osprey was designed to meet the requirement that the Marine Corps has to move Marines from an amphibious assault ship (LHA) across the ocean at a high rate of speed and to deposit them on shore. We in the Army do not require that speed due to the fact we typically operate fairly close to the LZ/PZ and do not have to traverse great distances to reach our objective. I could go on, but the bottom line is that it just does not fit the needs of the Army. Our mission can best be accomplished with a conventional helicopter. BTW, hope Army JROTC is treating you well. I started out as a JROTC cadet in 1977 and have been in an Army uniform ever since.

They wrapped up a huge exercise involving MV-22A's in New River, involving the development of specific employment tactics. These are obviously going to have to be drawn up from scratch. They do plan on using the Osprey in the traditional air assault role also, which is why it's replacing the CH-46E's. You do have a strong point regarding the mobility of the ship vice a Blackhawk. We'll how the tactics work out when the first squadron deploys, which is still a while away. I seem to think that it may be less capable in the air assault role than a traditional rotary wing, but that it's expanded capabilities throughout the operational spectrum will make it a definite boon to Marine Corps aviation. I'll be able to let you all know more when I get sent to an Osprey squadron...

Now I see why the army doesent want it. Thanks.

BTW, hope Army JROTC is treating you well. I started out as a JROTC cadet in 1977 and have been in an Army uniform ever since.

It is! I love it. Ive been a Cadet Sergeant for some time now and I am the
1st Squad leader, of 1st Platoon, Alpha Company.

Still as I was saying it sounds like the perfect counter-terrorism transport. Speed, flexibility, able to hover... What more could you want for this role?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back