MV-22 Osprey (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I dont think that Elite Counter Terrorism forces would want to use it. It is loud and a big target.
Very true...

I got to see the final assembly facility in Amarillo Texas a few years ago. We also saw one fly. It's a marvelous machine but very noisy and very complicated. From what I seen of it I don't envy the maintainers who have to work on it!

I dont think that Elite Counter Terrorism forces would want to use it. It is loud and a big target.

That's true - we don't plan on using it for that, obviously. I do think that it's design capabilities far outweigh it's negative aspects. How successful it performs in service will be seen - I'll let you guys know how much the maintenance bubbas hate the darn thing ;)

From what I remember there was a huge gearbox in the middle of the wing that interconnected both engines through a driveshaft so the aircraft could still function on one engine. Between the driveshaft and gearbox there seemed to be a lot of moving parts, let alone the tilt mechanism.

Yup that's in the NATOPS - maybe after the new year I'll be able to try and track down a copy of that natops, but they may not have any of them over here in corpus...

Marine Corps has 2 squadrons I believe stood up from their old platform(CH-46E) and a third should be up soon.

Guys.....very interesting stuff on the Osprey...thanks.
Thought you might like to see these pics I took at Fairford (July 2006)
MV-22B 166480/MV-23....VMX-22 (Static)
MV-22B 166391/MV-22....VMX-22 (Flying)

Whoops...sorry
Here's pix

Attachments

• 2006_0715fairford-20060245.JPG
    2006_0715fairford-20060245.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 69
  • 2006_0715fairford-20060316.JPG
    2006_0715fairford-20060316.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 69
Wonder if there are any hydraulic lockouts to prevent improper blade position during weight-on-wheels rotorerotor/turbine rotation.

Mkloby?

You mean to prevent the nacelles from going to the full fwd position in landing configuration? I would think that there must be, either activated by a WoW switch like you said, or a downlock/uplock switch. Like I said, I don't have the NATOPS for the MV-22 yet, I won't get one until I get back to Pensacola, which will be about April/May and finish up the helicopter syllabus. Then I'll be able to give you specific answers.

Guys - the wife has started labor, so we'll be going to the hospital soon. See ya in a few days!

Good for you Matt.

I know there has to be an interlock to prevent the forward flight translation of the nacelles/rotors while WoW. What I'm wondering is if there is another system constraint that has logic that states:

IF WoW=Yes Engine N1=0 Ground Speed=0 and Rotor is in position X (where a blade is at 0 degrees);
THEN Move Engine/Nacelle/Rotor parallel with "flight axis".

or:

IF WoW=Yes Engine N1=0 and Ground Speed=0 and Rotor is NOT in position X (where blade is at any other degree deemed to cause ground contact);
THEN DO NOT MOVE Engine/Rotor translation parallel to "flight axis".

Or do they have to just shut down the aircraft and then physically rotate the rotors to ensure that nacelle translation will not result in rotor contact with the ground? :)

I dont think they will shut down, but rather not allow you to move them.

It is off topic but this is why I dont think it will let you move them rather than shut them off. The Blackhawks WOW switch disconnects electrical switches so that you can not jettison your external stores such as the ESSS while on the ground. That is just one function of the WOW switch on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back