MV-22 Osprey (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mkloby

Senior Master Sergeant
Sep 10, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
MV-22 Osprey is a beast. It's an incredibly capable A/C, brand new avionics and digital cockpit, can carry or sling a nice payload, and will be doing special ops...

Attachments

• MV-22 Osprey Paradrop.jpg
    MV-22 Osprey Paradrop.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 189
  • V-22_Humvee.jpg
    V-22_Humvee.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 196
  • V-22_Howitzer_lift-off.jpg
    V-22_Howitzer_lift-off.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 226
  • v-22-dvic280.jpg
    v-22-dvic280.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 178
  • MV-22 Diagram.bmp
    80.5 KB · Views: 296
She ought to be... the whole development process has been arduous, hit with many delays, and unfortunately cost several lives... as sadly new aircraft often do. I do believe that the benefits and new capabilities it will bring to the table will be considerable. I trust it will do the Battle Phrog justice...

I am not a big fan of it. She will become a good aircraft and I am sure that she will serve great but what gets me is I thinkt hey are trying to press her too quick into service. I dont think she is ready and I think many more people will be hurt or die before she is ready.

This is one of those programs that Texas congressmen kept alive, and now
20 years in the making I pray it is going to be a success in the field. To be
honest, the gear box and transmission operation when one engine fails and
the other must pick up the slack without an immediate assymetric control
disaster is something that will always worry me, but then again, it is
something good Marine Aviators just take in stride.

Lockheed Martin had to deal with something similar, maybe in reverse, with the V/STOL F35 when the engine must engage the front lift fan. Lots of horses has to be transfered rather quickly.

and remains one of the most remarkable aircraft in service anywhere in the world ;) may great aircraft have issues like that, the -109 being a prime example.........

The Focke Angelis FA 269 Wesserflug was no doubt the inspiration for the Ospery. A Dr. Rohrbach conceived ideas on VTOL craft in 1933 and joined Wesserflug in 1935 where in 1938 Dipl. Ing. Simon began the P.1003 project which never reached fruition.

The Focke Angelis FA 269 Wesserflug was no doubt the inspiration for the Ospery. A Dr. Rohrbach conceived ideas on VTOL craft in 1933 and joined Wesserflug in 1935 where in 1938 Dipl. Ing. Simon began the P.1003 project which never reached fruition.

I don't know if that's exactly what the engineers had in mind - it's a relatively common and simple theory - tiltrotor. All that thing was was a wooden mock to my knowledge.

Aside from the improvments in technology over 40 years whats the major difference between the CL 84 and Osprey or was it a case that it wasn't made there

Attachments

• canadair_dynavert_2.jpg
    canadair_dynavert_2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 150
yes but that doesn't change the fact it's Rolls Royce with the experience in this area and it's British engineering that made it all work........

Um and the fact that the British test pilots had to be sent to the United States so that they could get VTOL exeperience from the US's Bell X-14, which first flew in the 1950s to test VTOL capabilities.

The things learned from the X-14 were given to the British to help build the Harrier. It was knowledge that helped develop the Harriers capabilites.

A test squadron was set up in England made up of 10 test pilots from England, the US and Germany to test the P.1127 which led to the Harrier and decide what needed to be done to develop it.

Attachments

• X-14.JPG
    X-14.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 106
One thing that would worry me about the Ospray and that would be its engine out performance. Its a heck of a big plane and the engine would produce a lot of drag.
Whilst I am sure they have it covered I wonder how marginal it would be as the wing isn't large enough to produce much lift compared to its size.

One thing that would worry me about the Ospray and that would be its engine out performance. Its a heck of a big plane and the engine would produce a lot of drag.
Whilst I am sure they have it covered I wonder how marginal it would be as the wing isn't large enough to produce much lift compared to its size.

I'm gonna see if I can get my hands on an MV-22 NATOPS manual to solve some of these questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back