My Cousin

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dear Erich,

your cousin may be gone but not forgotten like all the other young comrades from both sides who gave the best.

Ich hatt' einen Kameraden

Ich hatt' einen Kameraden,
Einen bessern findst du nit.
Die Trommel schlug zum Streite,
Er ging an meiner Seite
Im gleichen Schritt und Tritt.
Im gleichen Schritt und Tritt.
Eine Kugel kam geflogen:
Gilt's mir oder gilt es dir?
Ihn hat es weggerissen,
Er liegt mir vor den Füßen
Als wär's ein Stück von mir.
Als wär's ein Stück von mir.

Will mir die Hand noch reichen,
Derweil ich eben lad'.
"Kann dir die Hand nicht geben,
Bleib du im ew'gen Leben
Mein guter Kamerad!
Mein guter Kamerad!

greets from Hannover

Thomas

RAF

plese look at my above posting November 1944 ops and scroll downward as there are two pics showing the area around Holtensen fields

I realize this reply is many yrs after your post. Staver Hyndman is my father. I've been researching info on his flying career. Dad didn't talk about his experiences until later in his life. After interviewing him about his experiences and reading other stories about life during World War 2, I realize how truly frightening the experience was for all involved. Dad was proud of his service and kept in touch with his crew. Thank you for posting this story. Dad passed away Oct.1, 2007. I will be traveling to Germany in September 2015. While I am there I will travel to Bruges,Belgium, hoping to visit the site where Dad crash landed on the way back to his home base in England.
Jane Hyndman Klein

Users who are viewing this thread