My Mom and WWII A/C Production (Long)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lemming

Recruit
Jan 28, 2010
Central Texas
Hopefully this is not OT for the site, this is my first post.
Growing up in the 50s I had a fascination with WWII and heard about Rosie the Riveter when I was about 10 years old. So, I asked my Mom if she had been one. She told me she had been, kind of....she had grown up in St Paul, MN and worked in the Twin Cities ammunition factory. Then she moved out to LA and worked in an airplane plant.
"What company did you work at?
"I don't remember"
"Well, what kind of planes did you work on; fighters, bombers, torpedo planes?"
"I don't remember."
"Well, what did you do exactly?"
"Well, I was really small and they put me inside the fuselage and I'd buck rivets where other girls couldn't fit"
At this point I gave up in frustration, thinking that even Moms were girls and girls were goofy when it came to important stuff.

Fast forward to a few years back. We were watching the news and there was a segment showing the B2 bomber. My Mom pops up with "Oh, the Flying Wing! I worked on the Flying Wing!"
"Wha-What!!" I blurted
"I worked on a flying wing during the war...I'll show you." She got up and went to her bedroom, returned and held something out to me. "Here, they gave this to me."
Below is a photo of what she gave me and at least I knew she had worked at Northrup. No, she still couldn't give me any details. Pin is approx. 1" long and I assume it was either the N-1M or N-9M twin prop she worked on.
Thanks for viewing- Mike

Attachments

• Flying Wing Pin Full.jpg
    Flying Wing Pin Full.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 167

Users who are viewing this thread

Back