My Regrets (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great trek to do Wild. However heard that local Papuans getting pissed of from Govt taking all revenue and not passing it onto the locals. Thanks for the salute to the men in my family. But mum served in the WRAFS as well and at one time had 3 brothers in laws all Military RAAF and Army. when I was growing up as a kid thought civilians were people who had retired from the Air Force etc. Many years ago did the Thai Burma Railway Trek in Thailand from the Commonwealth War Graves Site near a Thai Buddists temple in the mountains down pass Hell Fire Pass to the Bridge itself. We were fit young men food and rations plenty of clean fresh water and yet by foot it was hard going. God knows how those poor bastards who were forced to build that bloody train track did it and the bridge. Then when we arrived at where the present day bridge is near another cemetry we held a service of rememberance for all the men who never came home Wild

As for Gallipoli now thats personal. Its my dream my aim in life a mission to go pay respects to an Uncle of my family. To visit him so to speak and tell him he is missed but never forgotten by his family and his sacrifice is honoured still in his family. I even named my own son after my Uncle in memberance to my Uncle's service to Australia

my family has served this Country of ours Wild. In war time and in peace time. they were just ordinary men and women doing a job. and I am proud of them

Der…. Here are some pics of the Me109 that was at our fly in. I was told it is the 1 and only real and flying example in the States. The pilot (that is his hand on the front canopy) told me the there is no insurance on it because they were unable to put a price on it. Priceless! I told him that my underwear would be sucked up into my arse the whole time I was flying it.:shock:

That cockpit is sure pretty! Sorry about all the people in the pic it was a major attraction here.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/88turboGT/P1012427.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/88turboGT/P1012426.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/88turboGT/P1012406.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/88turboGT/P1012425.jpg

There is one in England and one in GErmany and there are about 5 to 10 that are being restored to flying condition.

No worries Yak. its forgotten. how ever I did notice you referring to your GrandFather and my condolances about your Grand Dad being killed in action.

But don't judge all Frenchmen and women based on the stupid action of a few near Normandy the day you went to pay homage to your Grand father. If you go about 150 miles inland to the old Somme Battlefields from WW1 you will begin to come across the Commonwealth War Grave Commission Cemteries from WW1. 40,000 Plus Aussies are buried around the Old Mien Gate Road and Ameins Albert and Villa Britenau and the Somme Cemetries and battle fields from WW1.

On the 25th April since 1919 to the present date except for 4 years during the Occupation The French Citizens come out and pay homage to my Country Men killed around those old Battle Sites and Cemetries. April 25th is ANZAC DAY for Australian and New Zealand Army Corp from WW1. Mostly the main French population with the French Military and Government join with the Australians and New Zealanders in paying respect to the men from down under coming to help save France during WW1.

There are some real drop kicks as some Cemetries have been vandalised of late but this is only very rarely and the French Government attempts to investigate the crimes and pays for the Cemetries repair along with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Do I judge all French men and women on the actions of a few dead heads, No I don't. that would be unfair and illogical. By the way

Yak. I had 3 uncles serving on the Somme from 1916 to 1918 all came home. Also had another Uncle Killed in Action Gallipoli 1915 and is buried at Lone Pine Cemetry Gallipoli Turkey. 2nd World War Father served in 2nd AIF 6th Division Australian Army and later with 467 RAAF Squadron Bomber Command. Also 2 uncles one with 8th Division 2nd AIF Australian Army POW in Changi Singapore for 3 1/2yrs and another uncle killed in action of coast of Malta Serving with the Royal Navy in 1942. We bear no malice towards former enemies in my family Yak

. It was war and that is what occurs in war. But we also treasure Allies and friends as well. Maybe next time you go to France go and see the ceremonies conducted on 25th April every year and see the French People of the region whose families went through a Bloody costly war and the thanks they pay my Country men and women along to the New Zealanders as well.

As for my Uncle Killed in Action on between the 6th-8th August 1915 (that is the nearest dates they can determine at death due to a battle taking place) He was Killed attacking a Turkish Position at the Battle of The Nek Gallipoli. Its been nearly 92 years since his death and he is buried in Foriegn Soil though cared for by the Turkish People and still honoured. I am planning a trip to Gallipoli in 2015. The 100th Anniversary of the Gallipoli Landings on the 25th April 1915. ANZAC DAY to pay respect to my uncle and his mates who didn't come home. And I never met my uncles from WW1 especially my Uncle Killed in 1915 and My Uncle Killed in 1942 but I remember them all each and every day I draw Breathe to give thanks to them and men like them. Including my Dad and your Grand father Yak

Emac I have to give you an A+ for persistence.

It sounds like you have allot to be proud of there. As I have only lost a Grandfather (ww2) and an uncle (Korea) I still get the point.

I went and lived in England for almost 6months. Warrick to be exact. Worked with some Scotts and Britt's. It took me a week or so to figure out the reference to a "Frog" I heard it all the time. Finally someone told me it was a French person.

This person took me to a collection of ww2 relics and documents for a look. We came upon a gold clad book for an even closer look. It had the names, ranks and such, of the 26,000 U.S airmen that gave their lives in this noble cause. He told me "The Britt's are thankful for every name in the book"! This was very impressive for me. I had never heard this before.

I was treated extremely well…. when I was there by everyone. Even after I began to speak and they could tell I was a Yank!

I got lost in the countryside near Birmingham and had to stop and ask for directions. I found a phone repairman working on a phone pole in the middle of no where. I asked for directions and not only did he help…but he also got into his van and had me follow him all the way to Warrick! Now that is class!

Let's now move onto France. Everywhere I went… I was ok until they hear me speak English… then after that…. I was just an A hole American and was treated as such ….not by just the few you speak of… but buy about 80% of them. I did notice a change of attitude with the older ones. I already mentioned the women near the graves so… I won't go into that.

This is in no way said to reduce any sacrifice or honor or anything else you pointed out with your family. "You have a very good reason to be proud"

Now with that said: This is my opinion too. You give yours, so I should be able too.

I do not feel that the few people (French) that do honor the fallen can make up for the very short memoried French population that is there now. Sorry but I will never have any use for the French.

Australia is the only country, that I have been to, that I can safely say I would want to live there. The people were very nice and the country is very beautiful. I even like your flag.

May God bless all the fallen soldiers and living too! I support our troops!

how about we just let this thing go on the French ok ..........

just jesting
food-smiley-006.gif

hey is that French wine in that glass buddy ?

yes I'd take a good Deutsche Bier right now as it is a few minuto's after 12 in my region of the Sphere
00000704.gif

ye Yak in Oregon, but I finished off my little bottle of Zeltinger Sonnenuhr. that was great lying here on meds after my brief accident

Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Spätlese good stuff.

I wish you a speedy recovery..:drinking:

yes I woke up my wonderful generating cranky self this morn ready to kill. Actually the Mrs. is home to be with me so we will make love for hours and drink white German wine and ............ dang I feel cranky

we were by the fireplace and my wife says your hot, which I took as a compliment until she said...........no your on fire E !!

I should just go take a quick run through the snow in the buff right now 8)

your right of course TMI

we were by the fireplace and my wife says your hot, which I took as a compliment until she said...........no your on fire E !!

I should just go take a quick run through the snow in the buff right now 8)

your right of course TMI

Not TMI. There weren't any pics (not suggesting there should be either). But it was under the line on TMI.

Not that many females on this board anyway. They usually make the TMI call.

Sorry me being a bit slow here but is that Me 109 a Battle of Britain vetern?

I read somewhere about that aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back