Mystere IVA vs F-86 MiG-15

Discussion in 'Post-War' started by Militarist, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Militarist

Militarist New Member

Hi, guys! I'm new here. Seems to be a good site!

I am very interested in getting information on the Mystere IVA and on how it compared to the Sabre and MiG-15. There is surprisingly little data on the performance of Mystere in detail. I guess there is in French but unfortunately I have no knowledge of French. I would highly appreciate any contribution to this topic.

2. Glider

Glider Well-Known Member

Consellor
    From my understanding the Mig 15 was a slightly better fighter and the Mystere the better bomber.
    The problem with the Mystere is timing. The equivalent Russian plane was the Mig 17 which was quite a significant improvement on the Mig 15 and outclassed the Mystere.

3. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

Certainly got around.

[​IMG]

An Indian Mystere once managed to shoot down a Pakistani F-104 during the Indo-Pakistan war of 1965. However the Mystere was never used in the air combat role as, having limited capabilities as a fighter; its handling characteristics and manoeuvrability left, in the words of the Indian Air Force, 'much to be desired'.

4. Militarist

Militarist New Member

OK! But when the Mystere appeared, it was faster than either one and on a par with the MiG-17, wasn't it? We talking the 1950s, of course, not beyond. Then Mystere was a pretty good fighter.

5. FLYBOYJ

FLYBOYJ "THE GREAT GAZOO"
    Staff Member Moderator

Aircraft Maintenance Manager/ Flight Instructor
    It depends where and when it was operated. As stated, it was a good ground attack aircraft - air-to-air it was heavy and actually a generation ahead of the Mig-15 and F-86. I think the later model Sabers would of had their way with it. When the Mystere was entering service, century series fighters were hitting the tarmac.