Name this Plane~!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nforce

Recruit
Nov 27, 2008
Hey guys im very curious what USAF Fighter this is? Anyone know?

Thanks!

-Mark

Attachments

• Warbird2.JPG
    Warbird2.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 85
Look under the elevator !! It plainly says "SNJ-6". The Navy version of
an AT-6. Altho it says USAF, it's a US Navy plane..... not a fighter, a
trainer.

Charles

Not necessarily. Because of N number changes and other things, records change and facts get lost. This airplane was originally built for the USAAC with the serial number 44-82408. It was later transferred to the US Navy and assigned a BuNo of 112227. So technically, the restoration is correct, not that it really matters. As long as the aircraft is restored and flying, that is what matters.

I've said I curious about T6 /Harvards did the T6 have that canopy with that many partitions that looks like a Harvard canopy . I could be wrong but I think thats a Harvard 4

No, the canopies are pretty standard.
There are differences the Harvard 4 canopy has the 6 partitions with no centre brace down the centre of the canopy, The T6G has 6 partitions but has a centre brace down the centre, most T6's and harvards had 8 sections ,I believe the easiest way to determine is grab the aileron and check the deflection in the T6 its 15 degrees up and down and the Harvard its 30 up and 15 down . The 15 and 15 made the aircraft harder to spin

I would be very cautious grabbing and moving any part of someone else's airplane. In the T-6/SNJs that I have been in, they have had the center section between the seats that is stationary, one sliding panel in the front cockpit that slides toward the rear of the aircraft. The rear canopy slides forward and the front and back parts are also stationary. The exception is the T-6 model with the gunnery training position that had the furthest rear part actually folds like a clamshell into the section between the seats.

I did a little digging and see what you are talking about. This was the North American "small pane" versus "large pane" canopies with the T-6G and the Harvard. The large pane version is called "reduced frame" and appears to have shown up on later models of T-6G and Harvard versions.

According to Boeing, 15,495 T-6s and their variants were built. They were used by 34 countries over at least 25 years, so I don't really know how many versions, and variations on the versions there are, but I am guessing that it is a big amount.

The large pane canopies seem most common in Southern California, and I believe, but will have to check that they are pretty much interchangeable. I would doubt that you would have versions that would only take one type of canopy over the other.

I've been trying to find out about the wooden winged versions and if any are still alive .
In the book I'm reading the big sport used to be when formation flying creeping up and lifting the aileron on another aircraft with the pitot tube so the aircraft would fall out of formation leaving the pilot who fell out of formation to explain why

Users who are viewing this thread

Back