Narvik Swordfish

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Warspite

Recruit
Jan 6, 2019
Hello all,

I am wondering why I can't find any decals for the Swordfish carried by HMS Warspite during the 2nd Battle of Narvik. L9767, C8B of 701 Flight piloted by P.O. Rice sank U-64 during the battle and was the first aircraft to sink a U-boat. It also did spotting duty for Warspite's big guns. I would have thought that would make it somewhat worthy of a decal set but I've never been able to find one, not even an out of production set. Any thoughts here?

Best regards,
Don

Hello all,

I am wondering why I can't find any decals for the Swordfish carried by HMS Warspite during the 2nd Battle of Narvik. L9767, C8B of 701 Flight piloted by P.O. Rice sank U-64 during the battle and was the first aircraft to sink a U-boat. It also did spotting duty for Warspite's big guns. I would have thought that would make it somewhat worthy of a decal set but I've never been able to find one, not even an out of production set. Any thoughts here?

Best regards,
Don

There's a thread that includes a nice photo of L9767 here:

The contributor "iang" is an expert in FAA markings during WW2. If he says L9767 was still in overall silver/cerrux grey finish while aboard HMS Warspite, you can take it to the bank.

Given the simplicity of the scheme, it ought to be readily achievable using generic decal sheets for roundels and serials etc.

There's a thread that includes a nice photo of L9767 here:

The contributor "iang" is an expert in FAA markings during WW2. If he says L9767 was still in overall silver/cerrux grey finish while aboard HMS Warspite, you can take it to the bank.

Given the simplicity of the scheme, it ought to be readily achievable using generic decal sheets for roundels and serials etc.

Thank you buffnut453, I do appreciate it. Yes all the decals can indeed be done with aftermarket decals, I just needed to know for sure what markings where on L9767 during the battle. I have seen several artists portray L9767 in the later camouflage and with different tailplane markings. I have a colour profile of L9767 but wasn't sure of the time frame of the profile.

Thank you buffnut453, I do appreciate it. Yes all the decals can indeed be done with aftermarket decals, I just needed to know for sure what markings where on L9767 during the battle. I have seen several artists portray L9767 in the later camouflage and with different tailplane markings. I have a colour profile of L9767 but wasn't sure of the time frame of the profile.

Per iang's comments in the Britmodeller thread, it seems likely that the C6B code was applied later, probably after application of camouflage. I'm sure iang will respond if you PM him on Britmodeller (you may need to make a number of posts on threads before you're allowed to post a PM).

I suspect "for sure" may be an unachievable goal. Most of the time, we're dealing with probabilities. I was surprised to learn that the FAA went into battle still with silver-coloured aircraft. I wish you luck in your quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back