Thye Swordfish story

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pattern14

Airman 1st Class
Jul 12, 2013
Has anyone got a copy, or read "The Swordfish story", by Ray Sturtivant (ISO), printed by Arms and Armour press, 1993? I picked up a hardcover at the local second hand emporium near where I live for only $10.00 last week:D. Amazing book, with lots of detail and obviously an enormous amount of reasearch behind it. I'm not normally a fan of this plane, although after reading about it you could hardly fail to be impressed. It was probably best known for its instumental role in the sinking of the "Bismark", and you can only wonder at the bravery of the aircrews that took on a target as daunting as that. Lesser known but just as impressive was the successful attack on the Italian fleet at Taranto, which I have read elsewhere was studied by the Japanese prior to the Pearl Harbour raid. Lots of great photo's throughout, including one of the carrier "Ark Royal", sinking with its Swordfish still on the flight deck, after being torpedoed by a U-boat. Well worth a read if you get the chance, and a great addition to any military aviation library.

Good book my copy is well thumbed. Always makes me laugh that so many people actively dislike the Stringbag yet if you weigh up its contribution to the war there cant be many a/c that were better Bang for the Buck.

Last year during the Battle of the Atlantic celebrations in Liverpool the RNs Stringbag used my local airbase RAF Woodvale as its home for the weekend and the day before the celebration weekend I got my very own air display as the Stringbag did several take offs and landings late in the evening. I am still kicking myself that I didnt have a camera with me. I can still remember the noise of that big bird as it flew slowly about 20 feet overhead the Pegasus radial on tickover makes a beautiful noise.

It sure is an impressive bird, especially close-up, even if it does look now, as it did then, antiquated.
I had the dubious honour of towing the RN Historic Flight aircraft, with my Land Rover, back in the mid 1990's. The crew, walking alongside on the grass, were concerned that I might pull the tail wheel off, so kept admonishing me, in a friendly manner, to go slowly. Already in low box, just tickling the throttle, I was more concerned that the weight of the 'Stringabg' would pull the rear cross-member off the 'Rover !
I wish I could find a photo of that event, as there were many cameras clicking away at the time!

I also went out a bought the DVD "Sink the Bismark", which is a pretty good old black and whiter. Kind of amazing to think that at the time jet aircraft were becoming operational, the Swordfish were still getting the job done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back