Naval P-51? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oliverlovesplanes

Airman 1st Class
127
211
Mar 9, 2026
Hello guys, I'm helping my son out, who asked me, and I quote: "Do you think we can make a model P-51 that's naval induced?" And I responded with, "Of course, but we need to do research on it first," and he agreed, but I don't know where to get the information, so I came to you guys to help him. I told him we have to at least get pictures and lots of additional information.

Can you guys help???
 
VCS-8 (Cruiser Scouting Squadron Eight - that is, the scouting squadron assigned to Cruiser Division Eight) went ashore and transitioned to P-51C's which they flew during Operation Dragoon providing naval gunfire spotting.
1777954389223.png


Similarly, VCS-7 operated Spitfire Vb's and Seafires during the invasion of Normandy, albeit with British markings.

1777954620136.png
 
If I may .. my two cents ... next shots of 414017 ....

44-14017 on the deck of USS Shangri-La during the trials in November 1944.

naval2.jpg

naval3.jpg

naval4.jpg

naval5.jpg

the pic source: the net

Not the US Navy kites but P-51 Mustangs of the 506th FG aboard USS Kalinin Bay (CVE-68) being carried across the Pacific Ocean en route to Guam in 1945. ;)

P-51.jpg

the pic source: the net.
 
If I may .. my two cents ... next shots of 414017 ....

44-14017 on the deck of USS Shangri-La during the trials in November 1944.

View attachment 877710
View attachment 877711
View attachment 877713
View attachment 877714
the pic source: the net

Not the US Navy kites but P-51 Mustangs of the 506th FG aboard USS Kalinin Bay (CVE-68) being carried across the Pacific Ocean en route to Guam in 1945. ;)

View attachment 877712
the pic source: the net.
Last one looks like material for an A.I. fail - The U.S. Navy's greatest carrier fighter that no one knows because it came from the USAAF
 
An issue of Airpower/Wings circa 2001 that I think I have somewhere has beautiful cover art painting of a P-51D turning final for landing on an aircraft carrier. The art accompanied an article on naval carrier suitability trials for the P-51. Reportedly they found the laminar wing to be a difficult subject for wing folding.

However the FJ-1 Fury was basically a "jet Mustang" equipped for carrier operations.

Screenshot 2026-05-05 at 16-07-46 1_48 North American FJ-1 FURY US fighter Jet by CZECH MODEL ...png
Screenshot 2026-05-05 at 16-09-07 FJ-1Fury - Google Search.png
Screenshot 2026-05-05 at 16-06-51 Valom 1_72 N.A. FJ-1 Fury (NATC NAR) Plastic Model Kit 72104...png
 
An issue of Airpower/Wings circa 2001 that I think I have somewhere has beautiful cover art painting of a P-51D turning final for landing on an aircraft carrier. The art accompanied an article on naval carrier suitability trials for the P-51. Reportedly they found the laminar wing to be a difficult subject for wing folding.

However the FJ-1 Fury was basically a "jet Mustang" equipped for carrier operations.

View attachment 877768View attachment 877767View attachment 877769
I know but the fury was not really used
 
Long, long, before the internet was even in someone's fevered imagination, I heard the story of the P-51 carrier trials from Bob Elder himself. A couple years later my father had CarDiv14 and we were in quarters at Chelsea Naval Hospital so I must have been in 8th grade and still building model airplanes. I did up a Spitfire in USAAF markings and when my father saw it he remarked "you know, a Navy squadron operated Spitfires over Normandy in the invasion . . ." I didn't know until then. That was circa 1965.
 
Last edited:
An issue of Airpower/Wings circa 2001 that I think I have somewhere has beautiful cover art painting of a P-51D turning final for landing on an aircraft carrier. The art accompanied an article on naval carrier suitability trials for the P-51. Reportedly they found the laminar wing to be a difficult subject for wing folding.

However the FJ-1 Fury was basically a "jet Mustang" equipped for carrier operations.

The FJ-1 was a harbinger of things to come.
See https://www.history.navy.mil/conten...ion News/2000/2003/september-october/fury.pdf
 
Early USN jet aircraft development.

From Dec 1942:-
Ryan FR Fireball - mixed power. ff 25 June 1944. Service entry March 1945 with VF-66. 69 built (incl prototypes) with 634 cancelled at end of WW2. Originally intended for use from CVE.

There were a number of other proposals for mixed power aircraft in 1943 from the likes of Curtiss & Grumman.

From 1942 (first formal proposal from the company was in March 1943)
McDonnell FH Phantom - ff 25th Jan 1945. First carrier landing 21st July 1946. Service entry from July / Aug 1947 with VF-17A. 2 prototypes and 60 production aircraft (another 40 cancelled at end of WW2)

From mid-1944:-

1st Sept 1944 BuAer announce first jet fighter competition. 4 proposals with Grumman being rejected. Others led to the following.

McDonnell F2H Banshee - company proposal in Oct 1944 as development of the FH Phantom with detail design from March 1945. ff 11th Jan 1947. Service entry March 1949 with VF-171.

North American FJ-1 - company proposal dated 14th Oct 1944. ff 27th Nov 1946. Service entry March 1948. 3 prototypes and 30 production (another 70 cancelled at end of WW2).

Vought F6U Pirate - ff 10th Nov 1947. 3 prototypes and 30 production aircraft. Performance did not live up to expectations so never entered regular squadron service.

1945 competition for a jet night fighter / all weather fighter (in 1945 the USN began to use its night fighters for dusk / dawn / bad weather interceptions). Two companies were given prototype contracts.

Douglas F3D Skynight - contract for 3 prototypes awarded 3rd April 1946. ff 23rd March 1948.

Grumman F9F Panther - began life with an order for a four engined night fighter with a prototype contract for XF9F-1 issued on 22nd April 1946. With this looking unlikely to be successful, Grumman got the contract changed to supply 2 prototype XF9F-2 as a single seat day fighter powered by a single P&W J42 engine (licence built RR Nene) and 1 XF9F-3 with an Allison J33. ff 24th Nov 1947 & 16th Aug 1948 respectively.

The next USN fighter series were supposed to be the F7U Cutlass (prototypes ordered in 1946), the F4D Skyray and the F3H Demon (prototypes ordered in 1948). But with these advanced types encountering development problems interim swept wing solutions had to be found. Those emerged as the:-

North American FJ-2/3/4 series

Grumman F9F-6 and later models Cougar
 
An issue of Airpower/Wings circa 2001 that I think I have somewhere has beautiful cover art painting of a P-51D turning final for landing on an aircraft carrier. The art accompanied an article on naval carrier suitability trials for the P-51. Reportedly they found the laminar wing to be a difficult subject for wing folding.

However the FJ-1 Fury was basically a "jet Mustang" equipped for carrier operations.

View attachment 877768View attachment 877767View attachment 877769
1778163671548.png
 
The P-51 wasn't really suited for carrier work & didn't have the range to escort B-29s to Japan & back from their early Pacific bases & one pilot would get very tired on such a long trip - hence the P-82 Twin-Mustang was developed.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back