Navy World War II plane found near Oregon coast (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would have loved to find that. I spent many backpacking trips hoping to stumble accross something similar.

great quote:

The Helldiver, also known as "the Beast," was a formidable warplane, but Gurling said it was also "plagued by problems."

"In the earlier planes, the pilots were told to not dive for fear the planes would fall apart," said Gurling. "Which wasn't good for a dive bomber."

Some how I don't think the pilots would agree with you Thorlifter.:) I don't know much at all about the Helldiver. Were they rushed through development and production to quick or was it faulty design that was the cause?:oops:

Last edited:
"The Beast" had a tough act to follow (Dauntless), even though it was faster, had longer range, folding wings, twin 20mm cannons and could carry a heavier load. By the time the SB2C-3 came out, most of the early problems of the aircraft were corrected.

I believe it was responsible for more shipping kills than any other Navy aircraft.

TO

That's all true TO. The Helldiver was kind of like the Marauder. The early versions were plagued with issues, but the later versions were quite good to excellent (as in the case of the Marauder).

I was very lucky to see the last one in flying condition a year ago..

Their site:

SB2C Home Page

Attachments

• hell2.jpg
    hell2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 164

Users who are viewing this thread

Back