Need Advice on Kitchen Remodeling - Seeking Expert Insights!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

spanishbuddha

Airman
Oct 26, 2021
Hey everyone,

I'm embarking on a kitchen remodeling project and could really use some advice from those who've been through it. I'm torn between classic and modern styles.

While I love the timeless appeal of classic designs, the sleek lines of modern kitchens are undeniably attractive. What factors should I consider in making this decision?

Any tips on optimizing space without sacrificing style? Also, any recommendations for budget-friendly yet durable materials?

Your experiences and insights would be invaluable! Share your success stories or cautionary tales.

Looking forward to hearing from the seasoned remodelers in the community!

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Take lots of photos before, during and after. Make sure you plan where all the things in the kitchen now are going to go in the new layout. Don't try to figure it out once the kitchen is done. Round any corner of the countertop where you will be walking past it. Have plenty of light, I had 2 ceiling lights replace one in the center and lights under the counters. Have plenty of outlets and plan where toaster, coffee pot, kettle, blender, etc will be powered. Lights that are open will collect flies and dust (ask me how I know) so recessed or "boob" lights. Some fixtures can't use a standard light bulb and with LED lights that can last for years, I got extra bulbs so in the future, getting a replacement that fits and gives the same light is not a problem. I got a cabinet under the counter that is about 6 inches wide for cutting boards, baking trays, pizza stone, anything large and thin.
kitchen1.jpg

kitchen2.jpg

This is looking at the same corner, so there was a LOT of things done. This is a 90 year old house and this modern look in no way detracts from the charm of it. Good luck and keep us posted.

Send me a "Scaled" layout of the room you want to use, I've done kitchen layouts.
Show doors and size in width. Show windows and their sizes, height from floor and width.
1. Single or double fridge?
2. 24" or 32" stove top?
3. Stove and oven combo ?
or wall oven?
4. Cabinet microwave?
or wall microwave?
5. Single or double or country sink?
I am serious!

Can't give advise of modern vs traditional as that's a purely personal thing. Are you planning to do the work yourself or are you using a contractor? If you, are you comfortable with AND Knowledgeable of electrical? Plumbing? Is there gas involved? You don't say where you are from but where I am, any gas piping has to be done by a certified pipefitter. How old is your house? Outdated electrical could involve rewiring back to the panel and you will probably need a GFCI circuit. Check your local codes and permit requirements.

Hey everyone,

I'm embarking on a kitchen remodeling project and could really use some advice from those who've been through it. I'm torn between classic and modern styles.

While I love the timeless appeal of classic designs, the sleek lines of modern kitchens are undeniably attractive. What factors should I consider in making this decision?

Any tips on optimizing space without sacrificing style? Also, any recommendations for budget-friendly yet durable materials?

Your experiences and insights would be invaluable! Share your success stories or cautionary tales.

Looking forward to hearing from the seasoned remodelers in the community!

Thanks in advance for any help
I'll just have to assume that you are not married, or have a significant other, or you wouldn't be asking this kind of advice from this group. Plenty of skills here, I'll not deny that, but be wary of those advising using decals.

As Bill has asked, what are the dimensions and the openings? In my humble opinion, smaller area kitchens look great in the modern (European?) designs, while very large kitchen areas, again my opinion, look best in the classic, 'country' style. My preference for cabinet colors is the 'lighter' look', golden oak for instance for the cabinets as opposed to the darker cherry colors.

If you have the room then a trash compactor is a great addition. A salad sink in an island area is indispensable across from the main cooking stove. A luxury (I wish I had thought to install when I designed mine) is a water spigot over the stove top. Plenty, and I mean plenty!, of drawers. The handiest lower cabinet features that I have are 'pot' drawers, deep, undivided drawers for those large cooking things. Those and lower cabinets that have slide out shelving that hold the canned goods and stuff like that; so much easier to get to especially the back stored items.

In my kitchen I have redundancy in energy source; an electric stove and across from it a propane two burner cook top. Very handy when the power goes out, which is often here.

So many choices for counter tops and sink materials I'll not even attempt that. Very personal choices here, but do the research for durability. Same with flooring, very personal. I installed 16" tile and unfortunately did not have time to install myself. The 'professional' did not properly 'butter' the centers leaving many with a hollow domes underneath.

I designed and build most of my own cabinetry, having a local cabinet maker do some of the very large pieces. I would highly recommend this route, not building your own, but look for a local who does do work like this. Hands down better quality and may even be less expensive, if you do some of the work, like install the doors and drawer fronts? But with this route you are also the finisher!

You have not indicated where you live? If European or UKish,, then your product design choices will most likely be different than if US based. If you are in the US and are close to any large metro areas, I would suggest doing a visit or two to some open houses (newer construction). This would not only provide you with ideas and 'decorating trends' in your area (important if you ever will be considering selling), but will help you form your 'opinion/reactions' to different design approches. Do not limit yourself to certain price range homes, look at the affordable and the UN-affordable. Might even get to snag a cup of coffee and a cookie or two?

I'll just have to assume that you are not married, or have a significant other, or you wouldn't be asking this kind of advice from this group. Plenty of skills here, I'll not deny that, but be wary of those advising using decals.

As Bill has asked, what are the dimensions and the openings? In my humble opinion, smaller area kitchens look great in the modern (European?) designs, while very large kitchen areas, again my opinion, look best in the classic, 'country' style. My preference for cabinet colors is the 'lighter' look', golden oak for instance for the cabinets as opposed to the darker cherry colors.

If you have the room then a trash compactor is a great addition. A salad sink in an island area is indispensable across from the main cooking stove. A luxury (I wish I had thought to install when I designed mine) is a water spigot over the stove top. Plenty, and I mean plenty!, of drawers. The handiest lower cabinet features that I have are 'pot' drawers, deep, undivided drawers for those large cooking things. Those and lower cabinets that have slide out shelving that hold the canned goods and stuff like that; so much easier to get to especially the back stored items.

In my kitchen I have redundancy in energy source; an electric stove and across from it a propane two burner cook top. Very handy when the power goes out, which is often here.

So many choices for counter tops and sink materials I'll not even attempt that. Very personal choices here, but do the research for durability. Same with flooring, very personal. I installed 16" tile and unfortunately did not have time to install myself. The 'professional' did not properly 'butter' the centers leaving many with a hollow domes underneath.

I designed and build most of my own cabinetry, having a local cabinet maker do some of the very large pieces. I would highly recommend this route, not building your own, but look for a local who does do work like this https://mayflowerva.com/potomac-md. Hands down better quality and may even be less expensive, if you do some of the work, like install the doors and drawer fronts? But with this route you are also the finisher!
thank you so much for your suggestion. really appreciate that.

Take lots of photos before, during and after. Make sure you plan where all the things in the kitchen now are going to go in the new layout. Don't try to figure it out once the kitchen is done. Round any corner of the countertop where you will be walking past it. Have plenty of light, I had 2 ceiling lights replace one in the center and lights under the counters. Have plenty of outlets and plan where toaster, coffee pot, kettle, blender, etc will be powered. Lights that are open will collect flies and dust (ask me how I know) so recessed or "boob" lights. Some fixtures can't use a standard light bulb and with LED lights that can last for years, I got extra bulbs so in the future, getting a replacement that fits and gives the same light is not a problem. I got a cabinet under the counter that is about 6 inches wide for cutting boards, baking trays, pizza stone, anything large and thin.
View attachment 748642
View attachment 748643
This is looking at the same corner, so there was a LOT of things done. This is a 90 year old house and this modern look in no way detracts from the charm of it. Good luck and keep us posted kitchen remodeling richmond va. Take lots of photos before, during and after. Make sure you plan where all the things in the kitchen now are going to go in the new layout. Don't try to figure it out once the kitchen is done. Round any corner of the countertop where you will be walking past it. Have plenty of light, I had 2 ceiling lights replace one in the center and lights under the counters. Have plenty of outlets and plan where toaster, coffee pot, kettle, blender, etc will be powered. Lights that are open will collect flies and dust (ask me how I know) so recessed or "boob" lights. Some fixtures can't use a standard light bulb and with LED lights that can last for years, I got extra bulbs so in the future, getting a replacement that fits and gives the same light is not a problem.
also thank you for your help

Don't take advice from someone who is Selling the appliances!
There are space "rules" like distances from sink to stove to fridge!
There are also spacing rules for passing thru. 24" for one person, 30" for two passing one another.
16" of counter top (minimum) on both sides of a cook top.
28" cook top to overhead exhaust fan. 24" counter top to underside of cabinets.
Just sayin!

Don't take advice from someone who is Selling the appliances!
There are space "rules" like distances from sink to stove to fridge!
There are also spacing rules for passing thru. 24" for one person, 30" for two passing one another.
16" of counter top (minimum) on both sides of a cook top.
28" cook top to overhead exhaust fan Home Remodeling Redmond WA. 24" counter top to underside of cabinets.
Just sayin!
thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back