Need an ID

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

otftch

Staff Sergeant
Dec 8, 2006
Franklinton,NC
I've seen this guy before but cannot find the info. Cab anyone ID this Aircraft ?
ED

Attachments

• Scan1-3_zps16de3eb2.jpg
    Scan1-3_zps16de3eb2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 180
According to "Curtiss Aircraft 1907-1947" by Peter M Bowers,
"In 1942 P-40C s/n 41-13456 was modified to become the mock-up of an undesignated twin engine fighter. Packard Merlin engines and cowlings from P-40F's or KittyhawkII's were adapted to nacelles fitted to the top of the P-40C wing. No further information is available."
Joe Baugher lists P-40C s/n 41-13456 as being condemened Feb.27 1943.

"In 1942 the engineers of the Curtiss-Wright Corporation developed a twin-engined heavy bighter based on the P.40 model.

The project followed the same philosophy of design used in the Grumman XF5F-1 and XP-50, the I.M.A.M. Ro.57 and the Westland Whirlwind interceptors.
A mock-up was built using the airframe of the P.40C S/N 41-13456, the cockpit of a P.40 D and two Packard V-1650-1/Merlin XX engines and nose cowling from two P.40 F.

Two things:

1) Even money Ed will build this plane within the next month.
2) I'll be damned if I have ever seen a picture of the front of this monstrocity. Has anyone? Can anyone supply?

Jim

i have some of my dad's old aviation book from the early 40s with a bunch of off beat prototypes. i will look in them tonight or tomorrow if i remember.

Two things:

1) Even money Ed will build this plane within the next month.

Jim

I'm not taking that bet. Otftch has already built this airplane 30yrs ago based upon an obscure one off kit from an Elbonian manufacturer that he purchased out of the back of a 1970 panel sided station wagon from a buddy he worked with at the local Piggly Wiggly and is just doing some additional research to blow the minds off of his local model club members for his next weekend meet. Oh and he has additional Hasegawa ordnance pack kit for enhancements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back