Need help identifying wing section. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Carson

Recruit
Dec 6, 2022
Whitney, Texas
Hi, I'm new here! I recently purchased this wing section at an antique store with no accompanying information. I cannot for the life of me figure out what it belongs to. I'm pretty sure it's an elevator, but who knows at this point. (Please disregard the excess holes and bolts, someone made this into a table). Dimensions are 54" @ longest point, 50" @ shortest point, 13" Wide, 1.5" @ apex of taper thickness. Any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 4E572AA5-AC1D-4B43-A2F6-7B86C261CAF0.jpeg
    4E572AA5-AC1D-4B43-A2F6-7B86C261CAF0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
  • 28ACEBA2-AF05-4FEF-99E3-1FBEE81D1D3F.jpeg
    28ACEBA2-AF05-4FEF-99E3-1FBEE81D1D3F.jpeg
    895.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 4227AF45-CA92-4B24-8FD2-15B85A22A34B.jpeg
    4227AF45-CA92-4B24-8FD2-15B85A22A34B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 102
  • CFF10A3B-94E4-4775-907D-0854EBCFF582.jpeg
    CFF10A3B-94E4-4775-907D-0854EBCFF582.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 102
It'd make sense as far as the extreme wear on one side is concerned. And from looking at the internal structure of a rotor blade, I'd say you're right.

Possibly a tailrotor. Certainly not a main.

EDIT: Come to think of it, it could be a Robinson R22 blade. They are about that size.

Possibly a tailrotor. Certainly not a main.

EDIT: Come to think of it, it could be a Robinson R22 blade. They are about that size.
It doesn't appear to match the Robinson R22 from what I can see. And the dimensions are pretty far off. This cut away portion is 54" long whereas the R22 is 42". It's also 13" wide.

It doesn't appear to match the Robinson R22 from what I can see. And the dimensions are pretty far off. This cut away portion is 54" long whereas the R22 is 42". It's also 13" wide.

That's why I said "about that size!" The tip is wrong too, I was mainly correcting myself!:D

To me that looks like a main rotor from a UH1 Huey. It's the right color and the trim tab position seems about right up (don't see trim tabs on tail rotors ?) and not all Huey blades are squared off. The side profile and build also seem to match. Trying to find out the Huey blade width at the moment and that will confirm either way

Attachments

• Main Rotor Blade 6-54.jpg
    Main Rotor Blade 6-54.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
To me that looks like a main rotor from a UH1 Huey. It's the right color and the trim tab position seems about right up (don't see trim tabs on tail rotors ?) and not all Huey blades are squared off. The side profile and build also seem to match. Trying to find out the Huey blade width at the moment and that will confirm either way

I don't think the blade is thick enough to be honest. Huey blades are thicker and wider.

Bell 206 series main rotor
It's not that either, the 206 is tapered on both edges on one variation and the other variation is completely flat at the end. (From what I've found)

Or, how about a Sikorski S-76? I seem to recall them having a rebated blade tip like that.
From what I can tell, the S-76 seems to have a rear sweeping edge (rebated tip (I call stealth look lol)) on the tips of the props similar to an AH-64. This-whatever it is, does not.

Big thanks to everyone for all of their hard work in trying to help me track this down-especially since this is a WW2 aviation forum.

Hi, I'm new here! I recently purchased this wing section at an antique store with no accompanying information. I cannot for the life of me figure out what it belongs to. I'm pretty sure it's an elevator, but who knows at this point. (Please disregard the excess holes and bolts, someone made this into a table). Dimensions are 54" @ longest point, 50" @ shortest point, 13" Wide, 1.5" @ apex of taper thickness. Any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
Most likely to be military, with the most likely source being a Bell OH-58D KIOWA main rotor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back